Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
victoriarose
Ribbing the Cuff

A Couple Thread Doilies
Happy Saturday Morning everyone! While doing some "computer housecleaning" this morn, I came across something in my photo-bucket which I thought I would share. I think it's wonderful that we have a crochet forum on our knitting forum because these are my two favorite forms of needle arts. Though I am only a newbie to knitting, I have been crocheting with thread for over 30 years (I'm only 41) But anyway, thanks for looking. P.S. These are just 2 of at least 100

Please visit my blogs

The awesome power of the sea, and the men who challenge it!
victoriarose is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

doilies
Nice work. If these are only two what are the rest like? Have you crochet anything else yet?
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
victoriarose
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi MathWizard. I hope I did this correctly and these pic's are not too big. I just recently bought my first digital camera so I have only a few shots of some of my FO's. I have also made many afghans for my kids. One of my favorite places to find doily patterns (vintage) is Celt's Vintage Crochet. She has a plethora of patterns there. Some are in vintage terms however, but there are a few places on the net where you can decipher the "old" abbreviations to the new.
http://

Please visit my blogs

Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Karrying Kolor
Ribbing the Cuff

Your work is Gorgeous!

I'll flip ya for the Teddy Bear, LOL

OTN: Wheat Ear Cable Yoke Sweater
Irish Hiking Scarf & Watch Cap
Raglan Sleeve Hoodie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(KarryingKolor)
Karrying Kolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
victoriarose
Ribbing the Cuff

FYI...Actually, the Teddy Bear is wrapped in tissue paper and gently tucked away in a shoebox. I would be willing to make a trade (I hope I'm allowed to say that here as I don't want to break any rules). If interested, please PM me. Thanks for the nice compliments!

Please visit my blogs

Old 07-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
TxCynDoll
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow, nice work...it's nice to see someone else crochets with thread...I do to...however, I have given my away as gifts and to my daughter...I always seem to do it for others...I have yet to do any for myself...I am working on one now for my daughter who loves purple, I love this one...Victoria Rose Heirlooms, I would love to make that one...I have never done one with flowers like that...I'm not sure how to do it, even though I have been crocheting for 37 yrs as I will be 50 next month...I could look through all my books, but that would take forever with as many books as I have dating way back...so maybe you could direct me to a place for that pattern...
It is really nice to meet someone who does threads...I love my threads...love yarn too, but love how thread looks...I do a lot of Barbie stuff in threads...I'm sorry, I could just on and on...
Thanks in advance...
TxCynDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
victoriarose
Ribbing the Cuff

Cynthia- I'm not quite sure which one you are making reference to but the solid white with the mesh square in the center is a design by Rosanne Kropp and the pattern can be found in the March 2003 issue of Crochet! magazine. The Ecru shell-stitch doily with the Orchid pink roses around the outer edges (Fans & Roses) is a design by Ellen Anderson Eaves and can be found in the Sept/Oct 1999 issue of Hooked on Crochet! (Annies Attic). Hope this helps. Believe me, I also could rattle on for endless hours talking about thread crochet! I have 4 daughters for which I crochet "heirloom" (hopefully appreciated) doilies. For my eldest (now 15), I have started a pineapple edging for a queen-size bed linen set (inspired from Victoria Trading Co.). These are/will be all safely tucked away in their Hope Chest's for the future. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to PM or email me.

Please visit my blogs

The Following User Says Thank You to victoriarose For This Useful Post:
TxCynDoll (07-14-2007)
Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
marykz
Working the Gusset

wow those are so beautiful. I really hope to get good enough to try thread crochet. My Mother in law just gave me two sets of pot holders made by her aunt in the 40's that are just beautiful thread crochet. They are actually on display here at home and I'd never dream of "using" them- they are like art!! I was afraid those types of patterns were gone forever!! So if I can find crochet! and Hooked on crochet I might find patterns?

do you have advice on beginning patterns or anything? Any particular brands of thread you like best?

I'm working on a doily-type pattern from Crochet Today ( I think) that is going to be a pillow front- but as I'm a beginner and I'm trying to see all the stitches clearly, I'm using regular kitchen cotton. (I'm aware it will be bigger and not as delicate- but I wanted to try to read the chart properly!)

I'd love any advice... MKZ

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
TxCynDoll
Ribbing the Cuff

Victorian Rose,

Orchid pink roses around the outer edges with the green in it, is the one I am thinking of...I think I have that one (Sept/Oct 1999 issue of Hooked on Crochet! (Annies Attic) as I was a member for a long time... My mother started it for me back in 82, and I kept it up since and joined the Calander Dolls etc...If I don't have it, I guess I will be going back to Annies Attic as I just place an order the other day with her...I love her...

I have this Leisure Arts little book. The name is Delightful Doilies.
I also want to make this dolly but not sure how...if you go to leisurearts.com type in the book #75024 in the search this site, it will pop up...if you don't mind looking at it...the roses are in the middle...3 of them...

I have read it, and will try it, practice makes perfect... practice, practice, practice...but would love any tips you have to offer to better understand how to do this...if not, that's ok...
TxCynDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #10
victoriarose
Ribbing the Cuff

marykz & Cynthia (and others who are interested)! Please visit my Blog for answers to your questions regarding the subject matter in your posts. I can give you more datailed info there without taking up sooooooooooooo much space here. Thanks again and I'm more than happy to help in any way!

Please visit my blogs

The Following User Says Thank You to victoriarose For This Useful Post:
TxCynDoll (07-15-2007)