Old 07-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #41
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

Ooooh lately my biggest pet peeve is when people drop off passengers right in front of stores who are very clearly capable of walking from the parking lot. It's pure laziness and it's disgusting and blocks traffic.

(I make exceptions for rainy/inclement weather bc sometimes the driver is just trying to be nice, but in normal weather, SUCK IT UP AND WALK!)

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #42
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I will say that one thing I have learned is that sometimes people's handicaps often do not appear readily visible to regular people. There are many disorders that don't force sufferers to be in wheelchairs or walkers. I've always tried to remember this. Of course, you do have people who take advantage of the handicapped parking sticker, but I figure that's not my place to judge them.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #43
zip

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
I will say that one thing I have learned is that sometimes people's handicaps often do not appear readily visible to regular people. There are many disorders that don't force sufferers to be in wheelchairs or walkers. I've always tried to remember this. Of course, you do have people who take advantage of the handicapped parking sticker, but I figure that's not my place to judge them.

Yeah, that's true. Someone with a heart condition may exhibit no outward signs of a disability. I don't make assumptions regarding anyone who parks in a handicapped space.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #44
zip

Originally Posted by Rorshach View Post
Well to be honest, Nina, there's absolutely nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a preposition. That mode of "proper" grammar is very outdated. It first came into existence by some people who believed English was less than Latin. So one must ask oneself, which would you rather have, clarity of thought, or proper speech?

Personally, That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put. (my apologies to Winston Churchill.)

Some of the rules are outdated, and I agree that clarity is important. Questions such as "who'd you go with?" sound awkward when phrased in a grammatically correct manner.

But "where are you at?" is completely unacceptable, IMHO. Hearing it stated by anyone sets my teeth on edge; hearing it stated by a writer or a teacher is appalling. Beck's tune, Where It's At, is my only exception to this rule.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #45
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by momwolf View Post
Parents who dress their small children like teenagers
Yeah. I think there should be a rule that if you don't want your daughter wearing that outfit when she's 16, don't put her in it when she's 6. There's a girl at the pool we go to that wears a string bikini and she's about 6 maybe. It's almost too small for her, but that's the way adults wear them, right. It's complete with these tiny little triangles that have slipped off of her "dots" a few times and she could care less. I just want to go wrap a towel around her and tell her to get something a little less revealing on before she gets molested on her way to the car!

Kelly
Old 07-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #46
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

i have many, but this one really irks me.
**disclaimer** i do not intend to offend any smokers here**

cars with handicap tags that have ashtrays full of cigarette butts lined up along the dashboard and back window. hello? think that might be why you have to have handicap tags?

people who DRIVE for someone who is handicapped, who park in a h/c spot, when the PERSON ISN'T EVEN WITH THEM! hello! (i live in a small town, so i know which of the partners is h/c and which is not.) park in a regular spot and leave it for someone who needs it!

i'll think of more later.

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #47
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
I will say that one thing I have learned is that sometimes people's handicaps often do not appear readily visible to regular people. There are many disorders that don't force sufferers to be in wheelchairs or walkers.
Thanks for that, I am one of them. Between a bad back and a very bad hip walking is very painful for me at times and on those days when I can't ride my bike to the store my ride drops me off at the entrance.

It may not be obvious to anyone watching as I do my best to walk as normally as possible and not show my pain, but that doesn't mean I need to be walking across the parking lot to get into the store.

Yeah I am one of those healthy looking people that you might sometimes see riding in the little electric shopping cart thingies. It's not all of the time or even most of the time but yeah I do have those days.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
momwolf (07-15-2007)
Old 07-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #48
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

another example of an invisible h/c is people with bad heart rhythms.(sorry, i'm a cardiac nurse. ) i know of a patient, mid 40-ish, that has a TERRIBLE heart rhythm. she looks young and healthy, but she can't walk more than a few feet right now. :(

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #49
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by dakatzmeow View Post
cars with handicap tags that have ashtrays full of cigarette butts lined up along the dashboard and back window. hello? think that might be why you have to have handicap tags?
So that person with MS, or who had a spinal injury got that way from smoking?

I don't intend to be mean spirited here but that's an assumption you shouldn't be making and a judgement in which you shouldn't be engaging. There are a LOT of reasons a person may be handicapped that have nothing at all to do with smoking.

My doctor has been trying to get me to get a handicapped parking permit for a couple of years now and I have stubbornly refused and my physical problems have nothing at all to do with the fact that I used to smoke unless smoking somehow causes black ice to appear on the roads.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
momwolf (07-15-2007)
Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #50
zazzu
1st Leg of the Journey

I think it's funny how many posters noted bad behavior in Michael's or Jo-Ann's. To me, something about those two stores just forces obnoxious behavior out of people.

My biggest pet peeve....when people say they "could care less" instead of they "couldn't care less". Really, if you could care less, then you must care somewhat, right? If you don't care at all then you couldn't care less.

Cool thread.
zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote