Old 07-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #21
larudden
Knitting the Flap

My DD had two rats and they were just the cutest little pets! When I walked into her room, they would run up to the side of their cage and stick their noses through it so I would pet them. Amazing personalities........

If I didn't have 3 cats, I would probably go for a couple. At first, their tails gave me the creeps, but I got used to them. Do they make "manx rats" with no tails, I wonder?

Have fun with those babies.
Attached Images:

larudden is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #22
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
They are really cute, but I wish I hadn't seen the pix. It makes me feel bad... when it's time to feed my snake. She's eating rats bigger than that now... which reminds me, it's almost feeding day.

Can't your snake become a vegetarian?????

The pet store employee made us sign a paper that said we wouldn't be using our rats as reptile fodder.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #23
frostywolf
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
They are really cute, but I wish I hadn't seen the pix. It makes me feel bad... when it's time to feed my snake. She's eating rats bigger than that now... which reminds me, it's almost feeding day.

Sorry! It really does make me feel bad. :(
If your snake is eating rats larger than those, I sincerely hope you are feeding frozen, pre-killed rats. I strongly believe that all snakes should be fed pre-killed prey, as I feel that it is much more humane. If you are feeding live, be aware that the rats can do serious damage to your snake if the snake missed the strike, or if it simply isn't hungry at that moment.

larudden: There are in fact tailless (manx) rats. They are extremely rare, as their body structure differs to make up for the lack of a tail. I believe, though I could me mistaken, that female manxes shouldn't be bred due to this difference, it will make birthing difficult. You won't find them in pet stores. Personally, I don't think rats look 'right' without their tails.
frostywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #24
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
Can't your snake become a vegetarian?????

The pet store employee made us sign a paper that said we wouldn't be using our rats as reptile fodder.
Trust me, if she would eat lettuce, I would make her a vegan. I don't love feeding her, but she's our scaly baby, and we take good care of her... unfortunately, that includes a diet of rats.

Originally Posted by frostywolf View Post
If your snake is eating rats larger than those, I sincerely hope you are feeding frozen, pre-killed rats. I strongly believe that all snakes should be fed pre-killed prey, as I feel that it is much more humane. If you are feeding live, be aware that the rats can do serious damage to your snake if the snake missed the strike, or if it simply isn't hungry at that moment.
Thanks for the snake keeper lesson! I wish more snake owners knew as much! I know all about the pros of feeding frozen vs live. Saphira has never had a live meal in her life, and she's fed in a separate tank. Once, when she was a lot smaller and still on mice, the pet store didn't have any frozen, so I had to buy a live one. And through much of my own distress, I humanely killed it before feeding Saphira. (Animal lovers, please don't harass me.. I did my research and did it quickly and painlessly.) But it bothered me so much I swore I would NEVER do that again, and will make her wait a few days if I can't procure frozen rats at that time.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote