Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Silver
Instepping Out

Your body piercing experience - It's DONE! PIX Pg 5!!!
I am *this close* to going and having my nose pierced... and maybe getting a monroe piercing at the same time. I've already decided on the studio... Inksmith & Rogers, who have already inked me 4 different times and have a longstanding reputation. I've watched lots of piercing videos on YouTube and I feel pretty confident that I am gonna do this. But I just need more egging on. Silly, I know, especially since I have a high tolerance for pain and I'm not afraid of needles. But I'm 34 and getting facial piercings is a big step... you know?

Tell me your experiences of getting your piercing and reactions from other people.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos

Last edited by Silver : 07-18-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I think getting your nose pierced would be cool. As long as you wear something small and feminine and not some huge honkin' thing that looks like you've grown something horrible on your nose.

DD wants her bellybutton pierced for her 16th birthday. She wanted it this year, but I've bribed her with the offer of a new skateboard.

My nephew had his eyebrow pierced 3 years ago.... It's not very often you get to see a grown man cry!! (He was 27)
Old 07-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
beckyrhae
Turning the Heel

I used to have my nose pierced. I took all my piercings out when I turned 30. I felt like I needed to grow up a little. If I were going to do any of them again it would be the nose.

Piercings are SO NOT permanent. I say go for it!

The Knitting Barista

The Sheeps Tale

KnittingBarista on Ravelry
beckyrhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
feministmama
Instepping Out

My girlfriend and I did a home piercing once. We did each others noses. We got a cork to put inside our nose so we wouldn't go all the way through, some ice and a bottle of whisky for the pain. Let me just say don't try this at home kids. I tried to keep it in for a year but my nose kept getting all infected so I let it close. Then I went to a shop and they did it on the other side and I've had it for more than 10 years now. I love my ring. It has lots of symbolism for me about connecting years of strong women together, it bonds me to my cultral heritage back to Africa, all that good warm mushy woowoo stuff. Plus I think it looks good on me.

Anyway, I'm in grad school now and I've been told more than once if I want to be a profesional educator then I need to loose the ring. Hey I stopped shaving my head and now they want me to get rid of the ring too So I guess the thing to think about is do you need to have a look that shuns piercing? DO you live a life that is casual enuf for peircing? If yes, then what does the peircing mean to you? IS it fashion? personal connection with your body? blah blah blah. My ring has been in so long, I can take it out if I need to (for lets say a job interview) and put it back in. It's a part of my identity now and I've seen professors on my campus with dreds and tats and stuff but it depends on the department. So I'm just going to have to negotiate that. So will you. I support any decision you make good luck
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feministmama For This Useful Post:
Silver (07-15-2007)
Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
PaperGirl
Turning the Heel

Im inked, and I want the navel peircing as well.

I say go for it. You can always remove it if you want.

PaperGirl there too!

PaperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by debinoz View Post
I think getting your nose pierced would be cool. As long as you wear something small and feminine and not some huge honkin' thing that looks like you've grown something horrible on your nose.
I'm thinking I'll start with a tiny stud or a small captive bead ring. Can't decide. IF I get a Monroe, that'll be a CZ stud. I'm not into large gauge piercings, I'll keep them small and pretty. DH wouldn't like anything too big either.

Originally Posted by beckyrhae View Post
I used to have my nose pierced. I took all my piercings out when I turned 30. I felt like I needed to grow up a little.
Grow up? What's THAT about?

Originally Posted by feministmama View Post
So I guess the thing to think about is do you need to have a look that shuns piercing? DO you live a life that is casual enuf for peircing? If yes, then what does the peircing mean to you? IS it fashion? personal connection with your body? blah blah blah...
Nope, I don't have a workplace job or anything.. just a knitting teacher at Joanns on the weekends. I think that's pretty casual. My boss is a biker chick, so I'd be shocked if she said anything about my piercings. Besides, if she did, I'd sooner quit than conform. That's how I am. And all my body mods are about me, not about fashion or trying to look "hot" or anything. All purely self expression.

Thanks for the nudges! Keep the stories coming everyone!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I have my nose and ears pierced. I didn't experience any problems. I got my nose pierced for my wedding 16 yrs. ago I'm 44 and I still have my piercing because I really like it. I don't have anything other than my nose and ears pieced. I don't think it's juvenile, it's your body if your partner doesn't mind and if it's not going to effect your job I say do it if you want to.

Nadja

Claire

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest

nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

I have an eyebrow piercing and three tattoos. Go for it.

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
leedsfan
1st Leg of the Journey

I had my belly button pierced and it went septic and had to come out.:(
leedsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I've thought about doing a nose piercing. DH says "it's up to you". My mom would freak...I'm 38 people!:rollseyes:
I've wondered, can you get studs that are flat against the inside of your nostril? I have a girlfriend who once told me I might not like it since I lately have had more allergy issues, runny nose etc. But with proper care, can you manage it? I wouldn't want to rub my nose and have a stud scratch on the inside kwim?
Is there any significance to what side you do it on R or L? like putting a flower over one ear or another, one side you are taken, the other you are single? wouldn't want to send the wrong message.
sorry for the slight hijack Sil...this is a curious topic to me