Old 07-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Macs do get viruses, just like every other operating system.
EVERY other OS? Ahem. I think you mean Windows. There aren't any Linux, Unix, or BSD virus issues either.

The only reason Mac, Linux, Unix, and BSD don't get viruses is simply because nobody is putting them out there "in the wild" written for those operating systems. There are reasons for that of course, but that's the basic reason why they don't get them. There aren't any (well maybe a few Mac ones here and there but not many).

A Windows machine can be made just as relatively safe to use with common sense security measures like good security and detection software and not staying logged in as an administrator account all the time, especially when connected to the net.

As for the Mac vs PC question, it's really about your own personal choice. While some Mac users tend to be a bit rabid about their choice of machine the truth is that either of them will do just fine and the choice boils down to which you would prefer to use.

I'd suggest visiting a store and playing around with a few machines to see how they "feel" to you.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #12
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

I really don't have any technical know how, so I really can't offer advice on that count. However, I've had a MAC for a number of years, and never have any problems with it. It is very user friendly, imho. It is pretty much dummy proof... works much faster and better than Windows. I can say this, because I have the Windows program on my MAC. It does run a bit slower, but I like the Windows though because there are so many more programs and things that work on that system than the MAC. Why don't you get a MAC capable of running the Windows system? That way you can have the best of both worlds!

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Having been a die-hard user since college (almost 20 years ago -- eek!) and having mostly worked in somewhat artsy environments where macs were de rigueur, I'll put my vote in for apple. I do use PCs now and then and find them to be generally bearable, but find macs cuddlier over all. It's fun to be a little "different," and I also like the fact that I'm not completely beholden to microsoft.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #14
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by KnitClickChick View Post
Why don't you get a MAC capable of running the Windows system? That way you can have the best of both worlds!
All new Macs are capable of running Windows. They all have the Intel Core Duo processor, which allows you to "dual-boot," which is fancy-talk for run Mac OS X OR Windows on the same machine.

I have a PC and a Mac. I like the Mac better, but the PC does some stuff better, too. I agree with people who say to "test-drive" a Mac. Isn't there an Apple store in London? Apple stores are totally worth a drive to London.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #15
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
We're in the process of buying a new computer for DD before she goes to college this fall.

The school bookstore has a range of PCs that have the program bundles needed to run a basic machine and then they have Macs. The Macs are actually cheaper when all is said and done because of all the "extras" you pay for with the PC.

And since we just made an unplanned-for auto purchase, we're really leaning toward the Mac. And DD is VERY happy about it. She wants to play with the Garage Band feature.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #16
debb
Knitting the Flap

I believe apple is also offering student discounts and promos right now - I got mine last year and saved quite a bit of $ as well as getting a nice discount on an ipod (which I swore I'd never bother with and now can't imagine not having)
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #17
Krystal
Turning the Heel

I was researching this stuff for a friend once, and decided myself, the next time I get a computer, it's gonna be a MAC.

Pretty much anything you can do on Windows you can do with a MAC, only faster. You can even run windows XP if you prefer that interface.

I was talking it over with a family friend who teaches Windows and PC stuff at a local college. He was a die hard Microsoft fan. Then his daughter got herself a Mac. He played around with it, and after a few days of browsing and feeling it out, he said he will never use Microsoft computers again, except for work. He even bought himself an iBook to bring to work with him, so he can use that between classes.

You will probably be great either way, because you are used to PC's that would be an advantage, but the loveliness of the Mac would be great too.

Sidenote: My friend ended up getting herself a Mac, and she considered it her best decision ever.

If only I could get a mac now...
Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #18
cathoo

To do the "dual boot" of Windows and the Mac operating system, you need to download a piece of software called Boot Camp, and you need to have a Windows XP license key and disk that will work away from you old computer. Apparently, if your old computer was a Dell or Compaq, the Windows install disks they send you check your computer to make sure it's a Dell/Compaq.

If you want to be able to "just do stuff", go with the Mac
If you want to not have to learn anything new, stick with Windows.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #19
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

mac
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #20
feministmama
Instepping Out

gotta love Mac rabid die hard fan here
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote