Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Ebay and feedback from sellers
It irks me that most sellers won't leave you feedback until you've left some for them, and I don't really get why it is done this way. I mean, I feel like once I've bid on an item and paid for it promptly, I've held up my end of the deal and should be given positive feedback right away. Am I wrong on this? If anybody here is a seller on Ebay, maybe you can explain this to me.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
I agree. I once asked a seller why... if I bid, paid,what else should I have to do to get feedback..

She bs around and basically stated so she could be the last to leave feedback if she didn't like what I left

That it is "about the entire transaction"

Then I have those who leave feedback as soon as I pay.. which is usually w/in 12 hours max.

I avoid those that state feedback left after received.

It irks the heck out of me.. so I always ask before I bid.

But.. that's just me.. when I sell, I leave feedback as soon as pymt posts.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

First of all, I'm a buyer, not a seller. I've only sold 3 things on ebay but I've bought over 60 items.

I don't mind it and I think it's a good practice for sellers. It's true that if you've paid, you've done your part. But there are lots of buyers who will become trouble AFTER they've paid and received the item.

For example:
Buyer bids, wins and pays promptly.
Seller leaves positive feedback for the buyer and ships the item.
Item arrives and buyer is not happy. Claims it's not what they wanted/wasn't described properly/etc... even though seller has described it in full detail, buyer just didn't read carefully.
Buyer is pissed off and leaves negative feedback without giving the seller a chance to rectify the situation.
Buyer is screwed and wishing they had waited to leave feedback.

Feedback isn't only about paying and shipping the item. It's about the whole experience with the buyer or seller. Communication, problems and corrections, everything involved. If the seller doesn't know if you're happy with the item yet, and they don't know how you'll respond in the event of a problem, they can't leave feedback about you. You know??

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
marykz
Working the Gusset

I agree with silver and add one thing- it is another way to make sure the item was actually received before "closing out" the tranasction. eBay tracks "items awaiting feedback" for both sides. Once the buyer leaves feedback, the seller knows the item has arrived and all is well. (or not- but you should always email with questions before leaving neg feedback.)

there are folks out there who abuse the system for fun! since sellers depend on the positive/negative feedback system to reflect their integrity as a seller- it is in their best interest to be careful.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

I guess since I've never had problems, I didn't think of it that way. That does make sense though.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I've never sold anything, but as a buyer, I don't leave feedback until I receive the item, because I want to know for sure it arrived. I can't blame the seller for waiting, in that case.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I've never sold anything but when I buy I also wait to leave feedback like Stiney. You don't want to leave feedback then have something wrong with the item. Also, isn't there an option for sellers to comment back on negative feedback? When I was looking a feedback at a few sellers they had some ned comments but they had commented back on the reason the buyer didn't get the item or whatever the issue is.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
I sell my clothes and costumes online, we leave feedback once the customer has received the item. We had a problem once a customer claimed the item I sent was full of holes and red wine stains, it wasn't, the item went out in perfect condition. It turned out she'd mixed us up with someone else, but that was it, our only neg. Since then we leave feedback once customer has received item.

I can see problem, but we all need a bit of leeway.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I can see that side of the issue, but the problem I have with it is that it also holds the buyer hostage in leaving good feedback or the seller will leave bad. it's crappy on both sides of the equation really.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Oh man...I was thinking about posting something like this!

This is such a big gripe for me.

I buy and sell on Ebay. As a seller, I always leave feedback as soon as the buyer pays. I include, with their package, a copy of their receipt along with a handwritten thank you with the phrase that feedback has been left and how I would appreciate the same courtesy. I will also, after mailing the package, send a note to the buyer to let them know that the item was shipped that day, again with the note that I just left feedback.

As a buyer, I leave feedback after I receive my item and verify that, if it's mechanical, it works or that pages aren't torn from my books.

I've only left neutral feedback one time. The buyer was so angry that he left a very nasty comment back, giving me neutral feedback. I figured out that you can comment back on your feedback -- although you can't remove it.

Oh, and one more thing...

If you ever buy or sell anything on half.com, make sure you leave feedback there as well. It's the same company as Ebay.

I buy and sell all of my college books on half.com, and I rarely have buyers who leave feedback. It's very frustrating. It's no different than owning your own business. The feedback is your word of mouth to establish a good reputation.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote