Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
jumboneedle
Ribbing the Cuff

Your First "Moment"
As you can tell, I like getting to know all ya'll! So, here's another getting-to-know-you-better questions:

When was your first "I must really be hooked on knitting because..." moment?

For me, it's when I realized that I'm sitting inside on a gorgeous day with the AC cranked up because I'm knitting a wool blanket (which is very hot on the lap) while studying for the test which must not be named.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Hi! You come up with some great questions!!

For me, it was when I finished a project and wanted to go on to another one. My usual modus operandi is to learn the basics of a new skill, then move on to something new. Crochet, Tatting, Violin...oh, the list really goes on. With knitting, before I'm done with one project, I'm planning new ones. I don't know why it has been different for me than other things have, but there you have it. That was my "moment"
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,804 Times in 7,163 Posts
For me it was when I lay there at night before sleeping thinking about knitting...a pattern, how to do something, or what I was working on. Then dreaming about it.

Also...when I started thinking of myself as a "Knitter" rather than as someone learning to knit.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 07-18-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
brookehanna
Ribbing the Cuff

For me it's the only hobby that has really satisfied my short attention span. I'm notorious for throwing myself fully into a hobby or interest only to give it up 4 months later. (Much to the chagrin of my very patient husband) Even though I've had some seasonal breaks from knitting I keep coming back to it. The great thing about knitting is just how varied it is. If you get tired of stockinette you can do lace, or cables, or fair isle, or felting, or intarsia, etc, etc. There's really no reason to get bored with knitting!

WIP: Lizard Ridge Afghan, Clapotis

brookehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
letah75
Working the Gusset

When I realized I had 10, 45 QT drawers full of yarn, needles in my car, about 15 projects going, and my co-workers quit asking how my weekend was, and substituted "What did you knit this weekend?" It took that long for me to realize....uh....I'm addicted and a total knitter.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
JamOKnit
Knitting the Flap

Sitting at work trying to concentrate, and all I can think about is getting home ASAP and picking up my knitting again! I have many moments like that.... LOL

I'm JamOKnit on Ravelry.
JamOKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
Knit Mom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Knit Mom Send a message via MSN to Knit Mom
I realized it after the first 90 min of my first knitting lesson. When I was leaving I purchased more yard and different needles. I am there at least once a week planning something in my head.

OTN: Green Gable Sweater in Cotton Classic.

Knit Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
KT120
Ribbing the Cuff

The moments were many that led me to believe I was hooked. I think it was when I spent every spare minute dedicated something related to knitting. First it was reading books, then thinking about knitting, then finding out websites (KH!), printing out patterns for items I want to make someday, looking/buying yarn and finally knitting. I knew I was hooked when one day I was really depressed at work and just wanted to go home and knit (as opposed to veg.) all day.

On Deck: Beer Cozy, Ugg baby booties, Transformer wash cloth

FO: Obligatory first scarf, socks, knitted hat,Felted clutch from One Skein, Lily Bag,Irish hiking scarf, Felted Bowl from One Skein
KT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
ADAllen
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
For me it was when I lay there at night before sleeping thinking about knitting...a pattern, how to do something, or what I was working on. Then dreaming about it.

Also...when I started thinking of myself as a "Knitter" rather than as someone learning to knit.
I've done that! I had to get out of bed to go figure out how I was going to make my idea work. (I was a mess at work the next day).

Since I'm a new knitter, I'll answer when I knew I liked knitting. I don't think I'm ready to call myself a knitter yet. I taught myself to knit because I was looking for something to keep my hands busy in the car on the many road trips my honey and I take. I really didn't expect to do it anytime other than road trips. When I found myself stalking the mailman for the first time (I'm not normally a stalker) because he had my KnitPicks order, I knew I was hooked.

ADAllen
The Kniterati
ADAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Originally Posted by ADAllen View Post
I've done that! I had to get out of bed to go figure out how I was going to make my idea work. (I was a mess at work the next day).

Since I'm a new knitter, I'll answer when I knew I liked knitting. I don't think I'm ready to call myself a knitter yet. I taught myself to knit because I was looking for something to keep my hands busy in the car on the many road trips my honey and I take. I really didn't expect to do it anytime other than road trips. When I found myself stalking the mailman for the first time (I'm not normally a stalker) because he had my KnitPicks order, I knew I was hooked.
lol I am in stalking mode now.. the mailman always knows--maybe by the look of disappointment on my face when he only hands me envelopes and the jumping over the counter when he comes in with a box lol.

I knew - the first time I felt that utter contentment sitting down and picking up my needles in the evening... sigh... yup love that feeling.

anne

Reading:
"The Wolf in Winter" by John Connolly
Listening in the Car:
"The House on Tradd Street"
by Karen White

Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote