Old 07-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Sue Madelin
Knitting the Flap

OT - MAC or PC?
Off Topic question for you -

Does anyone know much about the difference between PCs and MACs?

The reason I'm asking is that my PC is starting to play up a bit and I'm thinking of replacing it - possibly with a MAC.

I run a website from home and I'm using Frontpage to update and edit it remotely to where it is hosted. I'm not very technical actually and the manufacturer of my product has just redesigned my site for me and taken over the hosting of it - all I need to do is use Frontpage to make any edits etc.

So my question is - can I still use Frontpage with a MAC? I haven't got the time to undertake a massive learning initiative to get used to the MAC way of life right now - and the most important thing is I need to be able to easily update my site! - so I'm wondering if I'd be better off sticking with a (hopefully more powerful version of a) PC or trying out the MAC - which seems to have greater processing power.

The problems I'm running up against at the moment is that applications can be very slow to load and run - and it has even hung on start up a couple of times recently - which totally terrifies me! If I can't get onto my computer then my business will totally fall apart!

Any advice??

Thanks
Sue
Crochet Jumper
Monkey socks from Knitty

Up Next:-
Some socks with my beautiful yarns from Angelia

Recent WIPs:-
Sahara in Tilli Thomas Pure and Simple and Rock Star in colour Hope
My variation on the Anthropologie Capelet
A cabled hand bag for my friend (Still awaiting some bamboo handles!)
Sue Madelin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
First thing -- Back up everything you need for your website!!! Next, have you done a defrag of your disk? What that does is rearrange the data so files are all in one piece. Whenever you write or save something to disk, the computer puts the pieces of it in whatever available spaces in fragmented pieces across the disk which slows down access time.

I've used Macs and they weren't too hard to get used to, but if you're used to PCs, I'd stick with them unless you want to use a lot of graphics programs. I've never used Front page so I don't know if there's a Mac version.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
RiverDaughter
1st Leg of the Journey

Macs and Pcs are both good computer choices. You have to remember that, it's not a black and white issue. So, before the flamewar starts, I'm putting up some fireproofing.

There are Pros and Cons for every computer, because not every computer fits every type of situation. I have used both Macs and PCs heavily in the past, and enjoyed both experiences.

First off:

Yes, Frontpage is available on the current Macs. So that should not be a major deciding factor. There are a tons of web site building software out there as well, so don't be concerned.

Second off:

Your business. What kind of software are you using to run it. QuickBooks, just some Word stuff, what? That's VERY important to know to help you choose. If it's a full business software thing like QuickBooks, check to see if it is available on the Mac first. You're going to want to keep the software if you know it very well.

Third off:

How much are you looking to spend? I know this does write into cliche, but you can buy some PCs cheaper than Macs. They might not have as good as service or reliability, but it is an option. As you don't sound overly technically experienced (no offense), I'm not going to suggest you build your own computer.

Fourth off:

Before you run out and buy a new computer, what's wrong with your current one? I know the computer I use at work (it manages the entire business), is an old 512MB RAM, Pentium D thing. It can't run anything advanced, but it can run the entire business. Have you put a firewall on your computer, an anti-virus, and a spam sweeper? Have you kept the system clean? To be honest, the problems you say you are having sound like you need to clean your system and de-frag it. That ALWAYS improves a systems performance by a huge margin.

Fifth off:

What operating system have you been using? Because, to be honest, this the biggest thing. There ARE operating system differences between a Mac and a PC. And it takes about a week to switch between the two and get used to them. Personally, I like Linux more than both combined, but you aren't going to want Linux. If you have been using Windows XP in the past, I would suggest ordering a new PC without any operating software, and just using your old copy. It's a LOT cheaper that way, and you can do that with Dells.

I would advise AGAINST getting Vista at this point simply because it is too new. It's bugs haven't been worked out yet, and, while it is shiny, it basically does everything a Mac can do, but with a lot more issues.

If you want a Mac, go down to the Mac store. Ask an employee about what kind of computer you need, test it out on the store floor, ask about software, costs, and anything else that concerns you. They can usually answer anything and everything you need to know, and more.

I hope that helped.

GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.
RiverDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

I looked up Frontpage, and it seems like it does work on Mac OS. Don't know if you would have to buy/update/download the mac version though.

One thing that should be considered is the cost. From what I have seen, Macs are much more expensive than a comparable, if not better PC. And since it seems like you really don't need all that much from your computer, you'd probably be better off getting a cheap PC. It all depends on what you need, since with PCs it's not all locked in, so like, if you don't need very much harddrive space, but needs loads of RAM, you can just get more RAM. or visa versa.

I do believe that with a Mac, you're kind of stuck into the computer as is, and if you want to upgrade to something better, whilst keeping the same computer, you...can't. Unless they've changed their habits.
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

If you buy a Mac, it'll be pretty and cute and you can get one in almost any color, but if you want to upgrade your hard drive or anything else, you have to buy a whole new computer. THAT is the major turn off for me. I build and upgrade my own computers so even though I think Mac's are way prettier, but looks aren't everything.

What you should be doing RIGHT NOW before you do anything else is backing up all of your important files. And back them up regularly. (I do a backup every 4 months or so, sometimes more often if it's been busy.) Anyone who's business is done on a computer should never have to worry that they'll lose everything if their computers die. Computers will die eventually, therefore you MUST back up files.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

You can upgrade a Mac. They did come out with Macs that are run off a new system so you can run windows if you want to on a Mac, so yes, it would not be really feasible to take my Mac Powerbook which was before the switch and upgrade it in accordance with their new machines, but you could upgrade if you have them do it.

You can upgrade the hard drive, but not the processor I believe.

I've been a Mac user by choice all of my semi adult life and I love mine. I covet the newer ones as well. They are very nice. My little brother and sister have the new MacBooks, the black and the white respectfully, and they are gorgeous machines that run incredibly well.

One incredible plus to a Mac is no viruses. Funny how the people listing the cons of a Mac never mention that plus.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
RiverDaughter
1st Leg of the Journey

First off: Macs are not more expensive. That's an old urban legend from back in the day. Yes, they cost money. And they cost more than a cheap computer that might last a year or less, but they are good computers that last a LONG time, and that price includes the operating system.

Second off: Macs only come in two colors: white and black. There are colored shells you can put on some of the laptops if you wish, though.

Third off: Macs do get viruses, just like every other operating system. You still have to be a smart computer user to stay completely safe.

GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.
RiverDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

You're right Rivverdaughter, there have been viruses for Macs, they are just incredibly rare. I've never had a problem with my Mac and one, whereas when I worked on windows based machines they popped up all the time (not my personal computer but others'). It is a big plus for Macs even though there are a few out there.

I love the new feature for Macs where you can automatically back-up your hard drive on their servers.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

Haha, I thought there might be a chance that that the Mac v PC wars didn't reach all the way to our little forum.

Sue, it all depends on what YOU want. Price, longevity, upgradabilty, compatibility, what you consider ease of use, and so on.

Regardless of the base price, there is the fact that you probably aren't JUST going to buy a tower. Some programs are not cross compatible between Windows and Mac OS. Like a disk that installs a program on your current PC, might not work on a Mac. And if you get a new monitor, that's usually about a hundred, from what I've seen.

Just, take what you hear from people with a hefty pinch of salt. (I'm trying so hard not to be blatantly anti-mac right now, if that gives you an idea) On less kind forums, Mac V PC is one sure-fire way to get everyone arguing and fighting, within seconds. Think English v Continental, and then multiply it by an obscenely large number... And add a lot more hate. And annoying advertisements from BOTH sides, that just make everyone hate each other more.

If you go to an Apple Store, the sales guys are going to tell you all the wonderful things about macs, and how much better they are than PCs. If you ask someone selling PCs (that actually likes their job), he will tell you the exact same thing, but in favour of PCs. Both will be lying out their teeth on some things, and be telling the truth on others.
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
iza
Turning the Heel

Overall, Mac or PC, a computer is just a big calculator. It's a tool. I don't understand the wars between Mac, PC, Linux, Windows, etc... Can't people just be free of choosing what's good for them??? :rollseyes:

Anyways. If you know somebody with a Mac, maybe it would be worth trying it so that you know if you like it or not. If you can, install the software you would be using and play with it!

Using a Mac is a bit different than a PC, but I think once the adaptation period is done you can use a Mac or a PC as efficiently. It really depends more on the practicality of switching to Mac, your budget and personal preference. Switching to Vista could be as hard as switching to Mac so you have to think of that too.