Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Help with stuffed rabbit pattern
Has anyone else made any of the Loveable Toys from Last Minute Knitted Gifts? I'm doing the rabbit and I'm totally lost when it comes to joining the legs to begin knitting the body in the round.

It's done on two 24" circular needles. First you knit the legs flat, one on each circ, then you place half the stitches for each leg on each needle, 20 stitches for the front on one needle and 20 stitches for the back on the other needle. I did this part okay, I believe.

Then it says this: "Join double strand of main yarn with RS facing to the beginning of one needle. Work in St stitch in the round on all 40 stitches as follows.

Round 1: Knit the first 20 sts using both ends of the same needle, then knit the second 20 sts with both ends of the other needle."

Rounds 2 through 24 are knit in the same manner.

But my main yarn is coming out of the middle of the needle instead of one end or another, and I can't figure how to join in the round and begin knitting, although everything appears to be lined up properly. I'm just not understanding the pattern at all! Can anyone enlighten me, please? I'd be SO grateful!
cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
First, since they say to 'join double strand of yarn' you'd cut the yarn you've been using and restart at the end of one of the circs.

You're working the body in the round on two circs--basically you slide the needle so one point is ready to knit, and you knit the stitches on that needle with the other end of that needle. Then you pull it so the stitches are on the needle cable and turn your work and do the same thing on the other side.

That will join them in the round.

Amy has video on knitting with two circs in the Advanced section under circular knitting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
cristina61 (07-18-2007)
Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Wow, I think I've got it!

Quote:
First, since they say to 'join double strand of yarn' you'd cut the yarn you've been using and restart at the end of one of the circs.
This was the part I missed; I was afraid to cut the yarn because it didn't say specifically "cut the yarn."

Thanks so much, Ingrid, you rock!

BTW, I had been planning to learn how to knit socks on two circulars -- now I guess I'll have a head start on that, eh?

ETA: And thanks for reminding me about Amy's video. I'm a very visual learner and that was a big help too.
cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote