Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Flokati Rug Impressions?
These were SO the rage years ago but seem to have fallen out of fashion. I need to buy a couple of rugs but after looking around today I realised I don't really want to spend $800 for two floor rugs at the moment even if they ARE good quality. The Flokati aren't quite the size I'd like but I'd wondering how people have found them. I will put a nonslip underlay on the tiled floor so I'm not worried about slipping as such but I'd like to know if the wool is hard wearing etc. I looked at one rug today in a store that was $400+ and the edges were coming away. You could literally pull tufts of the material out!

So, would Flokati be a good lower price range choice? I need someting with decent pile (thickness and softness).
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I them! The wool is soooooo cushy on bare feet. The best thing about them, though, is that they are a cinch to clean. We just throw them in the washer and let them dry on the floor. How many rugs can you do that with? Another neat thing is that you can put two rugs side by side to create a larger rug. I did that with two 5x8 rugs to make an 8x10. The underlay we got from Home Depot not only prevents slippage, but ensures a seamless connection between the two rugs.

Our flokatis aren't in high traffic areas so I may not be the best person to comment on how well they wear, but we haven't had any issues.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janelanespaintbrush For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (07-18-2007)
Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Thanks so much!..so..no trouble with wool shedding?? Another rug from the same store is supposed to have a higher pile but it is $100 more and not available at the moment anyway. i do need two side by side to make a larger one so great you mentioned that.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Flokati are supposed to be max 40mm high in pile and these other ones 50. Quite a difference but a lot for money for that 10cm and I agree that if you can just wash them like that, that's a big plus. Still, I'm interested to know about wool shedding. The sad thing is that I can only see Ikea selling them here and they only have white! That's ok but I'll see if I can locate another stockist tomorrow. Ikea is a long drive from me and it's a LONG walk around their store and I have problem knees (which is why I wanted a soft carpet)
Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

sorry..that was 10mm or 1cm.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

We haven't had a problem with shedding. Maybe when you look at them again, you can run your hands through the fibers and see whether anything comes loose. Do double-check that the ones you buy are washable, too. They probably are, but just in case...

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 07-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
candicane
Working the Gusset

I have that Ikea Flokati that a PP mentioned. I love it. It does not shed much and I easy to vaccum (Oreck vacuum). Not so easy to vacuum with my old Hoover vacuum though, I think the vacuum is just to heavy to push on the Flokati. I have never tried to wash it, it would be way to heavy for my washing machine.

CB2 (part of Crate and Barrel) has a beautiful gray one.

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by candicane View Post
I have that Ikea Flokati that a PP mentioned. I love it. It does not shed much and I easy to vaccum (Oreck vacuum). Not so easy to vacuum with my old Hoover vacuum though, I think the vacuum is just to heavy to push on the Flokati. I have never tried to wash it, it would be way to heavy for my washing machine.

CB2 (part of Crate and Barrel) has a beautiful gray one.

Candice
For big jobs, we go to the laundromat. They've got many sizes of machines available, including a few really ginormous ones.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

These ones don't have a cotton backing..they are described as:

Pile: 100 % Pure New Wool
Base fabric: 100% polypropylene

Thank you both so much for the exchange as I have looked and looked. I had bought two that had been imported from overseas and the glue they had used was sour and the smell was appalling. After a week I had to take them back. The Flokati I had passed over as they seemed so light etc but obviously I'm having second thoughts. If I had $800 to spare I may think of two ones I saw today but I have other furniture to buy and the Flokati seemed the right way to go.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I'd love the grey but I'm in Australia and I've only seen the white so far but I would have preferred the grey.