Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
bellium
1st Leg of the Journey

sinusitis...
...is making me want to die.

i have never had a sinus infection before. on saturday, i noticed that when i moved my left eye around in its socket, it hurt. a lot. and i had a headache that just wouldn't quit. so, off to the doctor on monday. after seeing two doctors, and getting an MRI (!!! - most expensive way to diagnose a sinus infection, ever! - good thing i have medical insurance), they have decided i have sinusitis. and that it's going to take days before the pain goes away. up to a week, even. i think i may just drill a hole in my head to let the pain out. blargh. when will the pain go away? it's affecting my ability to knit!

rant over.
bellium is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I get sinusitis about 3 times a year - it really, really sucks :-(

*hugs*

I sit in the shower room with the shower going on as hot as possible to get as much steam as I can, dose up on echinacea and sudafed decongestants, and antibiotics. And I sleep - the pressure behind my eyes always convinced my body that I'm really sleepy.

But it does go away - just got through my last bout about a week ago, couldn't knit for 5 days! Argh!

Good news is, once it starts going away, it usually goes fast.

Good luck *more hugs*
Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
syndactylus
Turning the Heel

have you had mucinex?
it is amazing, only thing that got me through I think 6 infections in the past year.
take more than it says.
(I think it says to take one and my doctor told me to take two?)

be glad you don't have to have The Operation, and be careful not to blow your nose too hard!! it makes it worse.

sorry for your pain, I can very much empathize, and hope you feel better soon.
syndactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

oh they are so ew! i hate sinus infections. i had three this year after never having one before and the pain made me go nutso. it was mostly in my teeth and ears. i don't ever want another one again. good luck and i hope you get better soon, so you can knit!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
another one that can relate... it is awful and I don't get any knitting done either during that time...the last really bad one I had where I was on the couch and dh was home taking care of the kids was last year... since then I've been using the neti pot during my bad times.. might wanna check with your dr...mine doesn't like the neti pot cause its not convential but like I told her I feel human again and I have energy again so neti pot here I come...

I hope you feel better soon... try to stay out of the a/c rooms if you can...take hot showers... don't even turn on the a/c in your car for a bit till the pressure lets up...there is a severe sinus/decongestants you can get over the counter I think sudafed? I always ask my local drug store what I should take...mucinex works too...a lot of the time though you will need an antibotic...

I always get a knot on the back of my head too...dh's dr (who also works on backs etc) will work on my neck and cause that to open up.. instant relief but I don't like doing that unless I HAVE to makes me nervous someone making my neck pop.

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
sylvia
Knitting the Flap

hi
i have sinus trouble to
what is neti pot
sylvia
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
hi
i have sinus trouble to
what is neti pot
sylvia

Here is a link for it... again you may wanna check with your dr before you decide to use one.. it is gross sounding.. and if you watch Oprah they showed how to use it on of her shows... might catch it this summer as a re-run...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

I feel your pain. I get 4-5 sinus infections a year, so I know what it feels like. Mucinex is good stuff, and also the neti pot can help. I found something like it at my local drug store called SinuCleanse. My doctor suggested it, and it does provide some relief.
Also, since I'm prone to them, I've found that any time I start to get a cold, if I immediately start a combination of zicam and airborne, it helps to stave off the sinus infections.
And, I can't knit either when I have a sinus infection.
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Ugh, sinus infections are horrible. When I'm having sinus trouble I like to boil a pot of water and put a spoonful of Vicks Vapor Rub in it. Let it melt then get under a towel with your face near the pot (not too close though!) and breathe in the wonderfulness of the Vicks steam. I know it says on the Vicks package that you're not supposed to do this but I get addicted when I'm sick. It really makes you feel better!
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
sylvia
Knitting the Flap

yuk but i will ask my doctor
thanks
sylvia
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote