Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

Another thing I use a lot instead of medicated nose sprays is a product called Sterimar - it's a standard spray thing with purified salt water in it, keeps your nose moisturised and helps work stuff out without aggravating it any more than it already is (which some medicated nose sprays can).

I don't know what Sudafed is marketed as in the US, but it's fantastic.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Ugh, sinus infections are horrible. When I'm having sinus trouble I like to boil a pot of water and put a spoonful of Vicks Vapor Rub in it. Let it melt then get under a towel with your face near the pot (not too close though!) and breathe in the wonderfulness of the Vicks steam. I know it says on the Vicks package that you're not supposed to do this but I get addicted when I'm sick. It really makes you feel better!
I do this, too. But then I don't use the pot for cooking anymore.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

I used to have them all the time. I started decreasing the amounts of sugar and processed carbs I eat. It made a huge difference. I got tired of taking antibiotics and decongestants all the time. Once in a while I start getting sinus pain again and its usually because I've been eating a lot of junk. I also use the netti pot when I start feeling the symptoms and it works wonders. I don't ever want to go back to having horrible headaches everyday. Also dustinac said she got a knot on her neck when she had symptoms. I usually get one in my neck. A heat pack or massage really helps.
Hope you feel better soon.
Angel
Sewing Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
misha rf

Ugh. My sympathies!! I get 'em too. Not as often these days, thankfully. If my allergies are particularly severe (happens 2-3x a year), I know I have to watch it. (I'll sneeze pretty much nonstop for a few days...oh, it sucks...and nothing works to really stop it. It has to run its course.) I've had to go the antibiotic route, too.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
mulene
Working the Gusset

Yep I was gonna suggest Sinucleanse too.

I have terrible sinisitis and that thing is awesome. I went on vacation to the USA and bought two. They aren't available here in the UK. They are however really great for clearing things out and releasing pressure. Especially at night.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Ugh, sinus infections are horrible. When I'm having sinus trouble I like to boil a pot of water and put a spoonful of Vicks Vapor Rub in it. Let it melt then get under a towel with your face near the pot (not too close though!) and breathe in the wonderfulness of the Vicks steam. I know it says on the Vicks package that you're not supposed to do this but I get addicted when I'm sick. It really makes you feel better!
Try essential oils too. I like Tea Tree, Rosemary and Eucaliptis (sp? ).

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
candicane
Working the Gusset

I had 4 sinus infections in 3 months this past winter. I, too, wanted to die. Seriously life with a 2 year old is hard, try a two year old and a sinus infection. On vacation. While skiing.

My ENT also suggested doubling the does of mucinex. He also thought it would be allergy related and suggest testing, but my insurance said they would deny the claim and told me to get a different claim number from the doctor... although they would be doing the same tests. I did not go for the allergy tests.

Hope you feel better soon! I use the Sudacare Plug-Ins when I am sleeping. Also, the steamy shower idea is always a good one.

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #18
bellium
1st Leg of the Journey

thank you for all the helpful advice....

the weird thing is, i don't really feel pressure anywhere, and i don't feel particularly congested. i get seasonal allergies, so for most of the spring and summer my nose is a little stuffy, but i haven't noticed that it's any worse than it ever is. i just have constant throbby pain behind my eye, and sharp shooty pain when i rotate my eye in its socket. it's beginning to get a little embarrassing, honestly - i have been to four doctors in four days - the urgi-care PA, the doc at the MRI center, my PCP yesterday, and an opthamologist today - no one is finding anything wrong, really - even my PCP said although the MRI showed sinusitis, he wasn't particularly impressed by the results. i am starting to feel like it's all in my head (no pun intended)!

oh well, hopefully it will get better soon. to top it off, my husband just got diagnosed with restless leg syndrome...we're both falling apart!
bellium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:41 AM   #19
mulene
Working the Gusset

To be honest, I would still suggest something like Sinucleanse. The reason being that the sinus blockage / infection may be very deep in. I found that my sinus problem lies very deep in and when I poured the fluid in from the neti pot, I could feel exactly where the problem was.

The fluid seemed to 'block' when it hit that point and I could feel the fluid doing its thang!

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by bellium View Post
thank you for all the helpful advice....

the weird thing is, i don't really feel pressure anywhere, and i don't feel particularly congested. i get seasonal allergies, so for most of the spring and summer my nose is a little stuffy, but i haven't noticed that it's any worse than it ever is. i just have constant throbby pain behind my eye, and sharp shooty pain when i rotate my eye in its socket.
When I have a sinus infection, I usually don't feel that congested either. I can still breathe through my nose and everything.

Originally Posted by mulene View Post
To be honest, I would still suggest something like Sinucleanse. The reason being that the sinus blockage / infection may be very deep in. I found that my sinus problem lies very deep in and when I poured the fluid in from the neti pot, I could feel exactly where the problem was.

The fluid seemed to 'block' when it hit that point and I could feel the fluid doing its thang!
I agree with Mulene. Also, are you taking antibiotics? They can really help to clear up the infection. I don't usually take antibiotics for any little thing, but sometimes they are the only thing that can get rid of the infection.
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote