Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Anyone else have a spouse who travels a lot?
Right now my dh is on his way to China, then Frankfurt and finally Kuala Lampur. He'll be gone for 10 days.

He travels a lot and has since my son was born almost 13 years ago. If he's home for 2 weeks that's a long time.

Anyone else with a traveling sweetie?

I have better times than others, last time he was gone for 2 weeks and that was a long time.

I am used to it (you would think I would be by now!) but still I'm not happy about it.

Just wondering how you get by.

Thanks,

Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Yup - my DH travels alot for work, mainly in the US and about once a year overseas. It's hard, especially now with a 1 year old. We communicate every day by email, texting, phone, etc so that he doesn't feel out of touch with what's going on at home.

I tend to gear up for his trips and make sure I have plenty of Netflix movies on hand and "chick" shows on the TiVo. Plus, lots of knitting projects of course!

If he's going to be gone over a weekend I tend to invite family up for the weekend. It definitely helps me keep my sanity!

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
LoAnnie
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm the traveling sweetie. I'm going to Peru for a couple of weeks soon. I know it's going to rough on my hubby, since up until now, I've always been able to take him with me when I travel.

But I am excited about getting to go to Peru.

LoAnnie

LoAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
ctmax
Knitting the Flap

My husband goes through spurts with his job. Up untill 6 months ago he hadn't traveled in about 3 years. For the last 6 months he has been working in the US, we live in Canada. He is home for one week in each month. I find it really hard right now, when our kids were younger they didn't really miss him they had me, but now that they are 7 and 5 (we have a 2 year old to, but he is just happy to have me) they really miss him. By the end of my husbands shift away my 2 older boys get so they are crying at the drop of a hat, and very moody. I know my husband misses them so much when he is gone, everytime the kids talk to him on the phone they lay on a guilt trip "daddy when are you coming home?" We're hoping he only has 1 more month to go, although I highly doubt it.
ctmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I'm involved in a non-knitting blog and the man who owns that one is away 3 weeks every month overseas from home base. So, turning it around, he is only home with his family a week a month - although they do meet up sometimes in other countries. Now THAT is a global lifestyle!
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

I completely understand - my DH is a pilot. He's gone ALL the time! He's been flying for the airlines almost 3 yrs now. You would think I would be used to it, but I'm not. We've had to move twice because of his job - although I like Texas! - but I am alone a lot. But I will admit it is nice to have the bed to myself sometimes! :happydancing:And now our animals think of just me as their primary caretaker instead of both of us. It makes me feel needed, but I think it kinda upsets him that they turn to me when they're upset or sick instead of him.

PS - But the travel benefits are a BIG perk!!

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
IBAmyB
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, mine is deployed to Iraq right now... he's been there for 11 months. He was suuposed to be back next month, but he got extended until November. So, it's just me, 3 dogs and my cat here... Netflix and the local video/book store are my best friends (and I knit/cross stitch while I watch TV!)

oh, about moving? we have moved 6 times in the past 7 years!
LibraryLady (07-20-2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

IBAmyB.. Power to you and prayers and good wishes to your partner Won't the homecoming be sooooo nice tho
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
IBAmyB (07-19-2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
nik
Ribbing the Cuff

My husband is in the military. I think my biggest complaint is that I just don't sleep as well when he's gone and I get so tired. It's getting better though.
nik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik For This Useful Post:
LibraryLady (07-20-2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
debinoz
Turning the Heel

As of last year, my DH is home around 4-6 days a month. He calls everyday, sometimes 2-3 times and texts the kids every morning and night. The kids are older 15, 14 and 12, so they don't really miss him as much as I do. It's really bad when you have to call your hubby 1500 miles away to have him tell one of your kids to behave, or that Mom said NO!!