Old 07-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
GinnyWeasley
Ribbing the Cuff

knitting in the round
I want to try and start circular knitting so I went out and bought the needles but there is a problem which I hope is easy to fix lol. I am finding it extremely difficult to begin casting on and starting because of the connecting chord and the way it was packaged. The chord is looping in the middle and getting in the way and it will not straighten out. Is there a way to get it all straightened out or will it fix itself?
GinnyWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Ladybug Lady
1st Leg of the Journey

Run very warm water over the cord to soften it up. Then place the cord, straight, under a phone book for a few minutes while it cools off. If it's the first time out of the bag, it may take a round or two of warming it up and straightening it out, but you should be able to get it to cooperate eventually. Once it has been in use for a while, it won't curl up as badly, either.

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed." ~ Booker T. Washington

WAGE PEACE!!

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." ~Mohandas Gandhi

"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." ~Jesus
Ladybug Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
GinnyWeasley
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the help!
GinnyWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Krystal
Turning the Heel

The brand of the needle also makes a difference. Some brands are better than others for the cable. I have a red heart 16inch cable I use for sleeves, and it is crap. The cable still curls under and around in an annoying way, but it's not AS stiff as it was the first time I used it, so it's not as annoying.

But use the trick Ladybug suggested and it should definitely take the stubbornness out of the cable.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
A lot of the craft store brands tend to do that. You can try the hot water method and see if it works for you. Eventually you may want to go for some better needles though. There is a sticky post at the top of the general forum for interchangeables and people have commented about them as well.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
Kaylee Chenille
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaylee Chenille
I personally have to boil mine, put them under books, then hang then up for a day or so suspended on the wall from a nail or tack before they will knit properly.
Breeze (1/2)
Rhiannon (0/2)
Laced Front Sweater
Shaped Lace Tee
both from Joan McGowan-Michael's Knitting Lingerie Style
(I LOVE this book!)
Kaylee Chenille is offline   Reply With Quote