Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
melinda9723
1st Leg of the Journey

best yarn for potholders?
I have lots of ww yarn lying around and I want to use most of it up so I can go buy some more pretty colors so I was wondering what is the best yarn to use when making potholders and other kitchen decor? I read that some crocheters use 2 strands of yarn when making potholders and some basically crochet a front and back and sew then together. What is your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
melinda9723 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I use plain old acrylic for mine. It's fine as long as you don't throw it right on the burner. My cousin taught me an easy way to make potholders. Just make a chain as long as you want the PH to be diagonally, and crochet up and down both sides of the chain until it meets in the middle to make a sqaure. The only seaming needed is the closing one on the other diagonal. Hope that made sense!!
melinda9723 (07-19-2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
kknittinfool
Casting On

I usually use cotton yarn like Peaches and Creme. I like the way it feels and works. I use 2 strands for a pot holder but only one when I make a dishcloth. I love the crocheted dishcloths so much that I refuse to buy them at the store.
kknittinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kknittinfool For This Useful Post:
melinda9723 (07-19-2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
marykz
Working the Gusset

I use cotton- the sugar and cream stuff. I crochet two sides with one strand each and then crochet them together. I just don't like working with two strands at the same time. I find I need a larger hook and I don't like the way it looks as much. Maybe with a thinner yarn it would be better.

I like cotton b/c it is absorbent, heat resistant, and washes in the washer and drier. I like the stiffness of the cotton when the potholder is double thickness.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
melinda9723 (07-19-2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
melinda9723
1st Leg of the Journey

since I have so much ww yarn and no money to go out and buy cotton I will use what I have for now but in the future I will make sure I have cotton yarn as well. Thanks everyone.
melinda9723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by melinda9723 View Post
since I have so much ww yarn and no money to go out and buy cotton I will use what I have for now but in the future I will make sure I have cotton yarn as well. Thanks everyone.
If your pot holders are meant for gifts, please be sure to tell the recipient(s) if the holders are made from acrylic.

Handling hot baked casseroles may be a dangerous thing with acrylic pot holders as acrylic melts and burns easily.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Inis View Post
Handling hot baked casseroles may be a dangerous thing with acrylic pot holders as acrylic melts and burns easily.
The most dangerous thing, I think, is that it transfers heat. IOW, it doesn't really protect the hand from the heat.

If one is going to use acrylic for pot holders, I'd put a good layer of cotton/wool fabric between the two layers of acrylic. That will protect the hand, but not keep the acrylic from melting.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yarnlady For This Useful Post:
larudden (07-27-2007), Pepsi (07-29-2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi

Nope - can't shake it off! I can still see it! Vividly!

Every time I see the word 'potholder', I'm reminded of the time I nearly put my back out hanging one up.

The old lady next door gave me a wonky step ladder and asked me to climb up and hang her little plant pot with the geraniums, inside the bright yellow macrame pot holder, swaying idly in the wind on her patio.

I don't know who had hung it there but if they'd used that tiny step ladder and had managed to fasten said macrame plant pot holder to the patio roof bit - then he/she must have been 7ft tall or the old duck had managed to flag down a passing orang-utan.

Yours, with an aching back

PS - We call the beasts you're on about either oven gloves or oven mitts
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Limey , not flower holders only you would think of pots for flowers .Haven't I taught you anything

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

Wool is best. It doesn't burn. It can, but I don't cook at 700+ deg F..... do you?

Cotton is an okay alternative but it will burn at around 375 deg F.

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote