Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #31
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Knitwit~ I know how that goes ...I have 2 baby afghans to do by Feb. I keep saying that is months away :rollseyes:

dotty~ I love the way they are looking in the pink... did you decide on the heel? I've tried to do 2 at the same time but I always get caught up in one and then have to catch the other up...

Cinnamon~ You are doing really good!! Don't worry the heels sound hard but actually are easy and give you a break from the pattern in the cuff... I think that is why I don't get bored with socks by the time I'm bored with the cuff it's time for the heel.. then gusset decrease... by the time I'm bored with the foot it's toe time...

Kristin~ I love that color.. I bought some cherry tree hill earlier this month and loved it.. so far it is my favorite yarn...

misstialouise~ Those are going to be pretty...I have some tofutsies in my closet too haven't figured out what pattern I want to use it on...

I actually finished my socks today...now hoping tomorrow I can work on the MS3 get it caught up and then start another pair of socks...:rofling:

Details
Fancy Silk Sock from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks
DPNs size 1s
Lorna's Laces in River ~ First time I used this yarn and I expected more but after finishing a pair up with Cherry Tree Hill I was disappointed... I would use it again though..
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kids silk sock.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	41808  

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #32
knitwit628
Knitting the Flap

oooo pretty socks, dustinac! Yeah, I have to finish the baby blanket and send it in the mail before the end of August... I hope to get to work on my socks soon though.
Mother Bear- Seaming!
Check out My Blog
I am kssunflower on Ravelry.
The Following User Says Thank You to knitwit628 For This Useful Post:
dustinac (07-23-2007)
Old 07-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #33
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cinnamon_girl View Post
Cool!! Very pretty color misstialouise!! I had a hard time choosing a color. So far I like the yarn. Well hurry up and finish HP so you can get back to those socks. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do on the leg!
I'm thinking something cabley... I'm going to go open my stitch dictionary and see what I can do with it.. :D

I *was* going to do widdershins.. but... nup....

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
Old 07-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #34
cinnamon_girl
Knitting the Flap

OOh very nice dustinac!! Finished socks. Yea!! I've heard that Cherry Tree Hill is very nice. mmm!
And, just today someone told me the same thing about socks, you knit the cuff until you're bored. lol!
Hope I get the cuff done soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamon_girl For This Useful Post:
dustinac (07-23-2007)
Old 07-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #35
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
Those look great, dustinac ! I'm wanting to do them in something purple, like they are in the book. I don't wear a lot of purple, but I'm getting a craving for purple socks !

kristinw, that sock is beautiful ! I love that yarn, too ! I saw a skein at a really good price in that shop, but the yardage was kindof short.

Oh, I just love the stitch dictionaries ! I have one checked out from our local library right now, and I dove into it to find a stitch for my heel. This book is called "The New Knitting Stitch Library", by Leslie Stanfield, and she doesn't name the stitch patterns,.........just gives them numbers... I'm using stitch pattern number six in the 'knit and purl' section. It's a very nice texture, and all I had to do was increase one stitch to start, and decrease one stitch on the last row, and figure out which way to slip the first stitch in every row so that the slipped stitches along the edge aren't twisted. I tried the eye of partridge heel, but I was either doing something wrong, or I didn't give it enough rows to see the pattern. It didn't do anything for me, but I love it in other people's pictures, so I have a feeling I wasn't doing something right !
I read on someone's blog that there were only 3 stitch patterns for heels........stockinette, slipped rib, and eye of partridge.........and I thought..."Why?.....Why can't I do any pattern I want on those 32 or so rows?" Wow,.........that was really liberating. I tried a star stitch, but it felt like it would feel 'knotty' in my shoes, so I figured out that I should not get too elaborate.
I'll post pics again soon.........I lack 2 more rows of the second heel before I pick up stitches for the foot !xxx

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to ...dotty... For This Useful Post:
dustinac (07-23-2007)
Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #36
kristinw
Turning the Heel

Those are great dustinac! I have some Lorna's Laces but I haven't tried it yet.

dotty - was the Cherry Blossom you saw maybe DK weight? Because she does have some of that. The skein I am working from now is 460 yards.

I just finished my heel flap and have started row 1 of the heel turn. Moving along! I need to hop to it so I can get these out on time.

My knitting blog: The Knit of It

I'm kristin on
The Following User Says Thank You to kristinw For This Useful Post:
dustinac (07-23-2007)
Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #37
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I am going to do the Dragon Scale stitch pattern :D Kinda like the Wyvern socks, but I've had to jiggle it a little so it will work witha gusset heel :D

WOO!

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #38
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Thanks everyone!!!

dotty~ can't wait to see the heel... I never think to change it till I was reading Nancy Bush's books :rofling:

I think my cherry tree hill had about that 460 yards... I know I have plenty left over just not sure what to do with it...

I did a google search on Bayerishe sock and someone used Tofutsies...I would have never thought of using it...

I keep thinking I may use that...I also want to knit the Twisted Flower...but first it will be WVU socks for my dh... I tried dying navy and gold and it came out so I'm going to use Paton's Merino wool for them... now I gotta come up with an idea...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 07-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
I went back and checked and here is the yarn I saw with the shorter yardage,--360 yards, she says........

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5622700

and it says it's a fingering weight.........maybe that's why it's in the 'sale' section ! Also, it's called 'purple rain', but my monitor shows it as a mauvy rose.

Anyway, the one you're using is the colorway I like. I just HAVE to find me some of these dark rich variegated colored yarns ! I did a big search of things knitted from the 'Memories' (knitpicks) yarn on Flickr, and didn't really love any of them. Tiny budget and huge desire are poor bedfellows !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #40
mollime
Casting On

Help,Help, I am brand new at sock knitting and I can't keep the four DPN going correctly...I have dropped all my stitches off one needle, re-knitted the wrong one and "stuck the 4th needle in my hair till I realized what I had done...Is there an easy way to do this? I'm at "wits end" I really need some help...

mollime

Last edited by mollime : 07-23-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread