Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #41
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mollime View Post
Help,Help, I am brand new at sock knitting and I can't keep the four DPN going correctly...I have dropped all my stitches off one needle, re-knitted the wrong one and "stuck the 4th needle in my hair till I realized what I had done...Is there an easy way to do this? I'm at "wits end" I really need some help...

mollime
Try using 2 circs rather than the dpns.. I get a LOT less stuff ups with 2 circs :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #42
samm
Turning the Heel

Yay!!! Me too! Me too!!! I want to finish up the second sock of a pair. I'm just turning the heel of the second one, so you'd think I'd just get going! Not so. I've been avoiding them for some reason. SSS??? It's a beautiful yarn, Lana Grossa Cotton Fantasy, in the colour...hmmm.... it doesn't seem to have a name, just a number. I'll figure out how to get a photo in here tomorrow. I'm happy to join a sock knitting bunch! I'm no expert, but I have knit maybe ten pair. I'd like to get brave and do the Monkey sock soon. So far all my socks are plain ones. But sometimes, like with this pair, the yarn does all the work! samm
Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #43
cinnamon_girl
Knitting the Flap

mollime,
I'm new too so I feel your frustration. That was me a few nights ago. I had to keep casting on and starting over, I was dropping my needle constantly. I have my work on 4 needles and my 5th needle is my working needle. I tried it with 3 but ultimately I found the 4 worked better for me.
But everyone said to persevere. Once I got through the 3rd - 4th round, the work and needles started to stabilize is the best way I can think to describe it. And each round got a little easier. Now I've got about 5 inches or so of cuff on my 4 dpns. lol!
So if you want to master dpns, (and I did want to) keep at it. Otherwise, as mistialouise suggested circs are another technique to try.
Good Luck!!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #44
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

2 circs is also a good way to avoid SSS... I KNOW I would get it, which is why the 2 on 2 is great for me.

I am loving this Dragon scale pattern. It's simple, but so effective! I'll post a pic when I have 2 or three repeats done :D

KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

On my Options:

Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #45
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
mollieme, I had the same problems when I started knitting with dpns... I took rubber bands or my little girl's pony tail holders and would wrap those around the ends... that way my stitches wouldn't fall off... also stitch markers can help you remeber what dpn to knit with... Some mark their first needle but I know some who have used different colors on the needles remebering the colors in the way they have to go till they become more used to them...it can be frustrating just take your time and don't give up... the first few rnds can be the hardest as well...

As far as sticking one in your hair... I have done that so many times.. have tore apart couches and cars looking for that crazy dpn... will go get another dpn cause well that one most be lost... and then hours will find it sticking in my pony tail... or dh will find it when he comes home from work...:rollseyes:

samm~ perfect time for you to start the monkeys as dotty is working on hers... I have SSS as well if I don't CO as soon as I finish the other sock... for some reason if I wait till the next day to CO it will be a few days down the road before I do

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #46
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
mollieme........you've been given some very good advice, so I'll try not to duplicate it. When I first started using dpns, it was to finish the decreasing on a hat, and I wound up putting point protectors on all the needles that I wasn't knitting from, just so that the stitches wouldn't fall off of the ends ! The ponytail holders/rubberbands is a good idea, too, if you don't have the point protectors. And once, I grabbed what I thought was an empty needle.......and it wasn't ! So there I was with 20 or so live stitches off of a needle ! Not a good predicament for a newbie !

So don't worry, we've all been there or are still there...........but learning this skill is definitely worth the patience you put in now !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2007, 02:15 AM   #47
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I made a little icon :D
Attached Images:

On my Options:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misstialouise For This Useful Post:
cinnamon_girl (07-25-2007), dustinac (07-25-2007), knitwit628 (07-25-2007)
Old 07-25-2007, 02:30 AM   #48
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
Oh, I like that icon !
How do I put it in my signature.....we should all adopt it !.....I haven't a clue how to do things like that ! I'm so daft about computer code.

And if anyone can teach ME how to add a photo without shrinking it to avatar size, please advise. My photo program lets me choose pixel size, but that doesn't seem to work for me here !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2007, 02:34 AM   #49
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

just save that icon by right clicking (PC) to your computer, then upload it to your photobucket or whatever, and put that URL into your signature :D

On my Options:

Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #50
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Thank you misstialouise... I saved it to my PC, uploaded it to flickr, but it keeps telling me I have an invalid file ... I might have to wait for dh....

I started his socks yesterday and having a time with them... I charted out the floating WV but I guess I'm pulling to tight cause it keeps getting drawn in where you can't read it...I'm off to frog it again for the 6th time I think...I will get this... I'm starting to wonder if maybe doing duplicate stitch after the sock is done isn't the way to go...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Closed Thread