Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Foxyie
Knitting the Flap

Fo: scarves, WP: knitted fabric
these 2 scarves i finished very soon after i started knitting,
they are going to be a set with hats and mittens, colors were chosen by the recipients.

red heart supersaver, size 17 US Straights with a double strand of yarn (one from each side of the skein). no pattern, just cast on and knit in ST st til i was happy with the length, added some buttons and holes, added names and they were done, took about 2 days each.

last night after i sewed some clothes with scrap material i was left with even more smaller scraps. i remembered seeing something about knitting with strips of fabric so i randomly put them together and got this ball of "yarn"

cast on size 11 needles and worked it in ST st until it ran out..will be turning it into a rug sometime in the future

and since he decided to jump up on my lap when i was done i decided to make him my model. he wasn't too happy about it..

thanks for looking!
Foxyie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Looks great! I have a ton of fabric, I should try that!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Originally Posted by Foxyie View Post
these 2 scarves i finished very soon after i started knitting,
they are going to be a set with hats and mittens, colors were chosen by the recipients.

red heart supersaver, size 17 US Straights with a double strand of yarn (one from each side of the skein). no pattern, just cast on and knit in ST st til i was happy with the length, added some buttons and holes, added names and they were done, took about 2 days each.

last night after i sewed some clothes with scrap material i was left with even more smaller scraps. i remembered seeing something about knitting with strips of fabric so i randomly put them together and got this ball of "yarn"

cast on size 11 needles and worked it in ST st until it ran out..will be turning it into a rug sometime in the future

and since he decided to jump up on my lap when i was done i decided to make him my model. he wasn't too happy about it..

thanks for looking!
Foxie.. great job! love the kitty too Is it hard on the hands to knit fabric? I was thinking of knitting up a small rug for the bathroom. Thanks!
anne

Reading:
"The Wolf in Winter" by John Connolly
Listening in the Car:
"The House on Tradd Street"
by Karen White

Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I think the rug idea really great and I'd like to consider that too..however.. I don't have a sewing machine so do you have to overlock edges before knitting?
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Your kitty looks just like my tuxedo kitty, evil little demon of knitting doom that he is!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Foxyie
Knitting the Flap

thanks! and here are my answers

hi anne,
not it was't really that tough on the hands using larger needles and knitting slower, i would say it depends more on the uniformity of the scraps and what type of fabric you use.

in the places where i had jean and upholstery fabric it was alot harder to knit than a stretchy shirt fabric, and in rows where wider pieces met wider pieces, it was harder, but overall it was fine.

and to susan..
i didn't overlock anything, i started out just sewing the edges together but changed to sewing the entire lengths of them together to give it some extra detail in the middle of the fabric.

you certainly don't need a sewing machine. it would take longer but you could just sew the ends together by hand using whatever stitch you'd like! it's pretty sturdy once you start knitting it up.

i would suggest using something other than Stockinette because it still rolls, it was just easier to use with my thick and thin fabric. i'm going sew other sections on, which will hopefully make it lay flat.
Foxyie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foxyie For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (07-16-2007)
Old 07-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Jill A.
1st Leg of the Journey

Cool idea with the fabric!! I stopped quilting when I learned to knit, and I still have some fabric hanging around!

Queue:
baby gifts

my blog

Jill A. is offline   Reply With Quote