Old 07-23-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
KnittingNora
Ribbing the Cuff

Taking knitting on BA flights?
I am making a quick trip to the UK, and am flying British Airways. Does anyone know if I can take knitting on a BA flight? I just tried calling but they didn't seem to know.
It will be an awful long 14hrs if I can't

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

You rang BA and they said they didn't know? Ring again and ask for a supervisor. They must be able to tell you their policy and if a staff member doesn't know they should ask.

This topic has been raised a lot here and there is no hard and fast rules. Different airlines deal differently but some people have found a decision made re them and their knitting needles with a carrier differed to someone else here. Only the airline can ultimately tell you but I would not take anything really expensive etc just in case at the last minute your knitting is removed and put in baggage.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #3
KnittingNora
Ribbing the Cuff

It was an Indian call centre that I got through to, so I don't think she really knew what I was on about.
I will phone the UK and ask when they open, I just wondered if anyone knew for certain on here.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:39 AM   #4
Bug
Ribbing the Cuff

I am in the UK, i will try and find out for you and post here when I know something.

My Blog
Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Bug
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm afraid it's bad news. From what I can tell you would not be allowed them. I'd say take it in your hand luggage and before you hand over your big bags at the airport ask someone, if they say no then at least you stil have the chance to put them away inyour suitcase rather than have them confiscated.

Take a puzzle book, a really really thick one. :-(

My Blog
The Following User Says Thank You to Bug For This Useful Post:
KnittingNora (07-23-2007)
Old 07-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
KnittingNora
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for finding out for me

it's going to be a long, long flight
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

That was nice of you Bug. I think everyone should just assume the answer will be no and do what you suggested.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:07 AM   #8
Bug
Ribbing the Cuff

As for as they see they knitting needles *could* be used as weapons. We all know you're not going to do that, but security is tight. I'd still say take them in your hand luggage and ask when you get there so that if they said no then you'd still have time to put them in your suitcase.
Different airports might have different levels of security. I'd say chance your arm and give it a go, but don't expect a yes.

My Blog
Old 07-23-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
Virginia Waldron
Casting On

I have just returned from Norway and flew on two BA flights. I was not allowed to take my needles on board.
KnittingNora (07-23-2007)
Old 07-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

[quote=Bug;912989]As for as they see they knitting needles *could* be used as weapons. We all know you're not going to do that, ]

This is a general comment and so not related to the person that commenced this thread.

I think there is a presumption that if someone is carrying knitting needles they must be one of the good guys..sorry..why? Reverse it and consider if you wanted to cause harm what could you use that is a normal implement...? If you think in reverse then you see the potential of individuals being 'bad' guys even tho they may be carrying knitting needles. Sorry, don't want to wander offtopic in this forum per se.