Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
cheley
Working the Gusset

Do I sense a "dispute" within this Forum?
I offered a shawl thru the Charity Section of KHF....I (unintentionally) mentioned a book in return..... I was pretty much humiliated by one of the other members.... I thought the "mods" were watching what goes on here... I am an adult who likes this forum, not someone looking to get something for nothing....:rollseyes::rollseyes:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
I saw the post you are referring to and in fact responded myself. Here's what I said:

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstand the point of charity knitting. It's to donate your time, and the project which includes shipping to someone less fortunate. Generally these projects go to groups that have absolutely no way of trading anything. I believe that is what Sandy was saying.
To respond to this post the answer is YES, we do watch what is going on in the forums. No one intended to humiliate you and I'm sorry you took it that way. I think she was just confused.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I'm sorry you felt humliated Cheley - I do hope that you will stick around the boards since this is such a wonderful community. There are lots of other charity projects to particiate in and I hope one of them will work for you.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I just went and had a look at the thread. Cheley, you clarified your position by saying you thought a book as a trade could cover your postage. I guess my thought would have been.."who" would have been paying for the book if all people were essentially giving to a charity? I believe it was assumed you had misunderstood the intention and attempts were made to inform you. Perhaps at the end there was a slight bit of mutual tension but I think one can understand how that arose.

If you have a lovely shawl you would care to give don't hold it back based on a misunderstanding - the group will embrace the item and your 'giving'. If however this was a particularly precious item then perhaps you may wish to keep it, make a shawl yourself and donate that.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
I just went and had a look at the thread. Cheley, you clarified your position by saying you thought a book as a trade could cover your postage. I guess my thought would have been.."who" would have been paying for the book if all people were essentially giving to a charity? I believe it was assumed you had misunderstood the intention and attempts were made to inform you. Perhaps at the end there was a slight bit of mutual tension but I think one can understand how that arose.

If you have a lovely shawl you would care to give don't hold it back based on a misunderstanding - the group will embrace the item and your 'giving'. If however this was a particularly precious item then perhaps you may wish to keep it, make a shawl yourself and donate that.
You are right..the shawl is "precious" and that was my "good" intention (to pass it on to another person)....I do "own" shawls that I made in both knit and crochet, I will "donate"them to my local group "Warm hands, Warm hearts" without question. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Would you care to offer some FO images of what you've made? I long to be able to crochet and would love to see.

Local charities are great and if you happen to one day see someone snuggled up in one that may feel wonderful. A friend of my son's has a homeless person he has come to know and that he gives food and some cash to when they encounter. They have known each other for a year or so now. I said I'd knit the man a scarf that can just be handed to him directly. It leads me to feel good knowing a 'presence' is out there that will receive and be fractionally warmer on these cold winter nights.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
I offered a shawl thru the Charity Section of KHF....I (unintentionally) mentioned a book in return..... I was pretty much humiliated by one of the other members.... I thought the "mods" were watching what goes on here... I am an adult who likes this forum, not someone looking to get something for nothing....:rollseyes::rollseyes:
I am also an adult, my friend, and I never meant to humiliate you.

I knit for charity all the time, including the Oddball projects that involve over 100 of the KH forum members. We all knit the items, and pay our own postage. None of us has been or ever will be compensated for that. We give from our hearts, without expecting anything in return.

I was just surprised to see you asking specifically for a Debbie Bliss book in return for your shawl. I believe that book is worth over 20 dollars. And wouldn't they have to pay postage to mail it to you?

I just didn't understand your reasoning with that request. As I said with my first post in that thread, if you're looking for a trade, you should go to the "Buy/Sell/Swap" thread.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
Would you care to offer some FO images of what you've made? I long to be able to crochet and would love to see.

Local charities are great and if you happen to one day see someone snuggled up in one that may feel wonderful. A friend of my son's has a homeless person he has come to know and that he gives food and some cash to when they encounter. They have known each other for a year or so now. I said I'd knit the man a scarf that can just be handed to him directly. It leads me to feel good knowing a 'presence' is out there that will receive and be fractionally warmer on these cold winter nights.
Here's where you'll find my "stuff" http://www.knittychick.com/free_sock_patterns.htm Thanks for asking Cheley
Old 07-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

I have to admit, I agree with Shandeh. It's a little odd to ask for a trade in return for a donation. But I certainly don't think Shandeh would intentionally try to humiliate you Cheley!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (07-25-2007)
Old 07-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
Verbal vs Nonverbal
It is very easy to have a misunderstanding in print. Without the tone of the voice.. or the intonation it is sometimes hard to understand what the writer meant.

I know for a fact that this group reaches out to all, and forgives and moves on...

Shandeh goes above and beyond.. as many due.

It is easy to misinterpret things printed.

Please chalk it up to nonverbal misunderstanding...

Life is too short & precious to let it consume anyone to the point of frustration..

This group has reached out and took over a charity project for me due to my illness... They did it out of love, if you wish to participate in a charity, believe me.. they will welcome you with open arms.

Hugs...
The Following User Says Thank You to snowbear For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (07-25-2007)
Closed Thread