Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Opinions wanted on gift, please
Hi,

This is kind of a weird request. If there are any Greek (or other) Orthodox knitters reading this, maybe you could help me.

I want to make a present for our community's monk. He is very active and helps everyone. He has been especially kind to me about some adjustment problems I had when I first moved here (he speaks excellent English). I noticed that other people give him gifts, like baking or sewing things for him.

But what? I thought of a black or navy blue scarf. My husband suggested a V-neck vest, but I couldn't make it without his measurements. Socks would be good, but again, I don't know his foot size and am still learning socks.

He wears only black robes in public, and wouldn't wear a knitted hat or anything. He has a special hat he wears. I don't know if he can wear gloves, but my knitting skills aren't up to that. Given the combination of his dress code and my knitting skills, I think a scarf is it.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!!! Sorry about all the rambling!
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
How about a pair of wristwarmers? I have made the "Fetching" version of these. The pattern is not hard.

http://www.knitty.com/issuespring07/PATTdashing.html
AnnaT (07-24-2007)
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
NakedPancakes
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to NakedPancakes Send a message via MSN to NakedPancakes
The only monk I know is buddhist. He wears skullcaps and scarves, They have to be either maroon or gold though.
NakedPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NakedPancakes For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (07-24-2007)
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Slim
Working the Gusset

Does he carry a bag? I'm making this for my son who doesn't wear scarves: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTsatchel.html
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (07-24-2007)
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

This page has gone strange but I'll post anyway.

I think if you were making a scarf a totally black one with no fringe would be the best given he chooses to wear black all the time.
However, other thoughts are, a cross stitch book mark that has a Greek Orthodox religious symbol on it. You could readily make a chart to help you do this. You could even make a bookmark in knitting (in a very fine yarn) but in this case perhaps white. But you would need to seek advice on that.

I would not make any undergarment items. You could also perhaps make a black cushion cover or other colour that you know suits religious symbology and put a cushion inside the cover. Such things make for lovely gifts. A navy blue here may be nice. Perhaps look up some Greek Orthodox sites online and see what colours items tend to come in.

It's wonderful he was so helpful and you want to show him your appreciation.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (07-24-2007)
Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

That satchel could be a good idea too!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
marykz
Working the Gusset

I would say something for his home/ apartment: susan's idea of a pillow or cushion with an appropriate symbol is a good one. Table linens is another idea (dresser scarf, table runner, placemat). Book covers with a symbol would also be nice (basically a rectangle with the sides folded in a bit). small prayer bracelets with beads (not a rosary, per se, but for saying prayers) is another idea, but not knit.

HTH

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (07-24-2007)
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

marykz.. I thought of the book cover also..I've never seen one knitted but I'd seen some beautiful embroidered bible covers... but yes, cushions and a table runner or similar would be a nice gift. Not TOO personal yet considerate in the sense that that kind of item - a cushion to support the back etc..may not be thought of by many others.

The satchel was a handy gift of course in terms of taking things around the community but I guess bags are always 'gettable'..still..something now and something around the Christmas period perhaps.. A bag at Christmas might be nice as you could treat it like a 'stocking' and put all manner of nice things treats inside.

Forgive me.. I'm uncertain whether Greek Orthodox celebrate Christmas but I think so.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
marykz
Working the Gusset

Susan P -Exactly! and yes- we get Christmas!! depending on the exact type of Orthodox, Christmas can be at the usual time or later. The Greek Orthodox generally follow a slightly different calendar so that it is often celebrated about a week later than the Roman calendar. (great for getting gifts in that day after Christmas sale!) (I'm actually Melkite, which is extremely similar to Greek Orthodox.)

I was thinking more about this question- and our Priest often deflects personal gifts and encourages gifts for the church. (For example, our church desperately needed new chairs- and has several programs to help people in need- our gifts to the church are usually of that variety.) However if your Monk is not affiliated with your particular church, perhaps he has a group or charity he is involved with? just a thought...

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (07-24-2007)
Old 07-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

markykz....ahh..interesting to learn. I have moved into an area where there are some very very poor people and there is a local medical centre that is doing it tough. My son and I talked the other day and I said I would offer to make a new set of curtains for around the 'bed'. When I visited the clinic the other day I spoke to one of the doctors about various matters - including their chairs - and he said, you know, we no longer buy new things because every time we do we are broken in to.

What a sad sign of the times that is; that they daren't risk new chairs or paintwork or anything.

If AnnaT had been single I would perhaps have cautioned about a personal gift but I think as a married woman she is in a good place..and if the monk has been receiving cooking and sewing from other women in the community then I think a personal gift may be nice. At the same time, Anna could offer two of something..and say to the monk..one for you..one for someone in our community who you know could benefit. That may be a nice approach??
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (07-24-2007)