Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
carla25
Ribbing the Cuff

Why I started knitting...
I just had this on my heart and I had to share this story with you. On June 26, 2007 my loving father passed away, leaving me heartbroken. He was such a wonderful man and knew many people, and it touched me to know he touched so many lives. There were over 500 people that came to visitation to pay their final respects to him. In my process of grieving this loss, I needed something to help me through, and I asked my mother to teach me how to knit. It surprised me how well I caught on. She told me that I am a fast learner, and I have done great just for my first month of knitting. I have joined her "Girls Love Yarn" knitting and crochet club, we meet once a week. When I get my dad on my mind, I sit down pick up my needles and start knitting away and reminisce about my memories of him. Knitting has helped me so much, even though I am still mourning his loss. Thanks for letting me share my story.
In memory of my loving father.
carla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's hard, but it will get better.

My Dad passed away on June 23, 1993. I stopped crocheting after that because we were both crocheting an afghan and kind of having a race to see who could get the farthest each day. When he passed, my mom asked me to finish his last row he was working on so she could put it away. It took me half the day to sc about 90 sts. I just started to crochet again this year.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
ready2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Location: Like Alice, I've fallen down the rabbit hole and landed in the midwest and asking WHY?!
Carla,

Thank you for sharing your story. Many of us have used knitting to get us through difficult times. Like you I let my mind wander over happy and sometimes sad thoughts. I always say that knitting keeps one part of my brain distracted while the other part of my brain works on things I'm too afraid to think about!

I'm glad you're finding comfort.

May your father's memory be eternal,

Jana
ready2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
cinnamon_girl
Knitting the Flap

Carla,
I'm so sorry for your loss. Missing him and the pain of that loss will never go away but then neither will all your wonderful memories of him.
He must have been a special man.
cinnamon_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
LeslieA
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LeslieA Send a message via MSN to LeslieA Send a message via Yahoo to LeslieA
My dad too passed this past February 28. I had tried to learn to knit previously but would get frustrated and give up. Just before he went into a nursing home I had gotten a pattern for a snowman from a fellow kh'r, I worked on that as we sat and waited in the nursing home. And I finished it.. I find that knitting calms me.
3: Various.....
LeslieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

Learning to knit/crochet was one of THE best things I ever did to help me through a VERY ROUGH year~!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Carla
Knitting=Therapy for me, too.