Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Reinforcing socks with thread?
Hey everyone. I'll admit that I've recently developed a sock addiction and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about knitting socks. Apparently, the use of reinforcing the toes and heels of socks is the source of some debate. Some people say that it helps reduce the wear of the sock, while some people say it makes them uncomfortable or actually makes the sock wear more quickly. I've never used reinforcing nylon thread and could just try it myself, but I don't want to if the majority of people don't think reinforcing the sock has many benefits. So, any thoughts on the issue? :D

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Braden
Instepping Out

If you can find it, you can skim a little in at various place that the sock will get most wear, like the toes and heel. But, most sock yarns have at leats 25% nylon in them so if you used one of those, that should be enough. If you use too much, the sock will not stretch and will wear more quickly, but if you use it sparingly, you'll be fine. Just take it in the purl bumps so you won't see it on the outside.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
When I first started knitting socks I would use it... if the sock was 100% wool... I would just knit with it during the heel and then again on the toe... I heard the same things... some would tell me that is all they ever do and it has never wore out on them... others would say it cut right through the wool...I did try and knit with it loosely I didn't pull it to snug...

Now what I do is just go down a needle size for my heels and toes and knit tighter... I think it's just a personal choice on what you feel comfy doing...

I had one knitter tell me why would you want to do that? I want them to wear out so I can justify knitting more socks for myself...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I think this will remain a debate until someone actually knits one sock with reinforcement and one without, and wears both until the first one springs a hole. And even then the test wouldn't be scientific -- maybe the wearer treads more heavily on one leg than the other. Maybe we could get Consumer's Digest to run one of their abrasion tests.....
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Braden
Instepping Out

I knit one pair of socks with the nylon thread heald with the wool, I started out at the toe, and then again at the heel, and it was visible from the outside.

The way I do it if I'm not knitting with an actual "sock" yarn, is I reinforce the toe, middle of the foot (very little) and heel.

BradenCS on Ravelry
Old 07-26-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

So would you suggest reinforcing if I were to use KP Palette?

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

You can if you can find the matching color... I know Joanns sells a lot of colors... what I do now is just go down a needle size on the heel and toe while knitting a bit tighter.. you should be ok by just doing that

Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Does it change the gauge if I go down a needle size? Do I need to adjust the number of rows or anything, or just use the smaller needle?

I'm a knitter for Jesus!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

I haven't ran into any problems... I always knit my heel flap at 2" (depends on foot size) and then for the toe sizing I'm always trying it on...the last pair I made is a little short toe wise but that is because I didn't try it on and assumed it would be ok... I should have worked a few more decrease rnds and then grafted the toe together....If you haven't knit very many socks then it might be a little different...I pretty much know how my foot runs in socks now and just do what I want to on the heels and toes...well I change the gussets up a bit to cause I find most sock patterns are to big there if I don't...

The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
redheadrachel (07-26-2007)
Old 07-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Braden
Instepping Out

Rachel - I'm knitting a sock right now with Palette, and I think I'm going to reinforce it with nylon thread.

BradenCS on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
redheadrachel (07-26-2007)