Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Yeah, my first thought when I read it was, I'd be really bummed if the cat came into my room. My second thought was, maybe it's not so much that the cat knows when people will die as much as when he visits them, it's almost like a cue to the patient that it's time. I know it sounds weird, but I'm sure that there are some people in hospice care who are tired of fighting, and just want to be reassured that it's okay to let go. When the cat visits them, there may be a feeling of relief and readiness.

Of course, being a hospice, death is bound to be pretty common. Surely the cat hangs out with people who aren't about to die sometimes.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I know my kitty always knows when I'm sick and, even when it's really not convenient for me, puts away her feral tendencies and tries to curl up on me (she once tried to sit on my head when I was really distraught and wouldn't let her on me cause I was crying too much and I get really allergic to her when I've been crying - she went up on the back of the sofa and put her paws on my head!).
Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
misha rf

I've had no fewer than 3 people send me this story. I think it's sweet, and amazing. What a special kitty! I think it's great that the staff will call the family to let them know they'd better get there soon. Even when you know someone's time is coming, it's still kinda nice to get a little "heads up" to say a final goodbye.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

Wow - the response worldwide to that story has been huge - it was both the most read and most emailed on bbc.co.uk/news which is quite impressive. Here's a response to it :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6919063.stm

I never knew about epilepsy dogs before, that's a great idea. I'm very glad there can be such comfort and support from animals, they continue to astound me with their abilities (says I looking at my cat doing a very unladylike pose ;-))
Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush View Post
Of course, being a hospice, death is bound to be pretty common. Surely the cat hangs out with people who aren't about to die sometimes.
Actually, the cat is very anti-social, according to the article I read.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #16
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Stiney View Post
Actually, the cat is very anti-social, according to the article I read.
That's what I read too - he kind of does his own thing the rest of the time, not really going near anyone.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #17
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by willowangel View Post
That's what I read too - he kind of does his own thing the rest of the time, not really going near anyone.
Ah. That wasn't in the one I read. Thanks for linking the BBC article. I had read about dogs sensing cancer before, but the seizure thing is new to me. Interesting stuff.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I have a client who walks but has some difficulty walking and sometimes falls. She has a dog who, when commanded, will brace himself so she can use him for leverage to get up. He is also trained to fetch things from the floor for her.