Old 07-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
downthestream
Ribbing the Cuff

Purse pattern alterations
Ok, knitting gurus - I have one skein of Iro that wants to become a bag. Most patterns have you knit the bottom of the bag first, then pick up stitches to knit up the body in the round. I do not yet have the coordinating yarn for the base (ooh, need to shop...) but I am itching to start.

So, can I create the bottom last? How do you suggest I sew it to the body? Yeah, I know it's easier to start at the bottom and work up but help me out here! (Hmm, would it be better to knit flat instead of in the round?)

Thanks everyone!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
As someone who would rather knit together a million stitches than sew a few, I'd go shopping.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
downthestream (07-27-2007)
Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I know you've urged people to agree with your process decision but I'm with Ingrid on this..go shopping! I know how it feels to really really want to get started but down the track when you have to fiddle and sew and 'stuff' you may well think..arrggggh I should have gone shopping!

All that said, yes you could knit flat (or even in the round potentially) and add on later but unless you are felting etc the join may be noticeable. The best look may be seamless. Up to you really.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
downthestream (07-27-2007)
Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
clb1968
1st Leg of the Journey

I am really of no help, but I vote for going shopping before you start. You know you want to go buy yarn, some for the bottom of the bag and more just because it's yarn and you know you need it for something.

OTN: Booga bag for mother in law, FINALLY FINISHED,only worked on it for 3 years.
clb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote