Old 07-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
carla25
Ribbing the Cuff

Purpose of Stitch Markers
Ok the stitch marker thread has brought up another question. What exactly is the purpose of these and how do you use them. I have not advanced to using these yet so just curious.
carla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

If you are knitting in the round placing a stitch marker on will indicate where a row ends and when you're beginning a new row. They can be used for more intricate patterns (on any sort of needle) to keep a marker or 'eye' on the pattern elements and so on.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi

Most stitch markers are the metal ring and are used as Susan described.

If you have made a decrease or increase along a row, you pop a marker on the right needle and it acts as a marker or signpostso that you can tell whereabouts you are, should you lose track on a complex row.

I'd not been knitting very long, in fact, had just finished a baby's cardigan, when a well-intentioned but overly-optimistic friend thought I could tackle lace.

I chose the basic Feather and Fan pattern and got into trouble you don't want to know about.

I decided it would be more use if I could count out and mark the continual yarn overs and decreases first - that way, all I had to do when the counters were on the needle was concentrate on the knitting and tension.

I started a range of markers made like this
http://www.countonknit.com/begin/

and now I sell the solid rings as well to be used like regular markers

Anyway, hope that explains things a bit.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Songbirdy
Knitting the Flap

stitch markers are full of all sorts of uses.

I have a friend who knits in beads all the time. She likes to put so many in a row. So as she strings on her beads, she puts in a marker and that helps her keep count.

When I had to cast on over 300 stitches for a poncho for my mother, I used it to mark every 25 stitches.

In my Cable project, I used them to mark the 5 panels of knitting. Until I was established enough to remove them.

Note: I have to use removable markers. I am constantly knitting in my markers. I think it is a hazard of knitting with children in the house. Err, distracted knitting. I'd like to stress here knitting on the phone is fun but when you add a cat or two to the mix...

Anyhow. I've linked my detachable platic ones together to count rows.

but if I had pretty ones... I'd make sure I knit them in. Naturally I wouldn't be able to because I was trying to knit them in... I'm rebellious that way. Always not doing what I want and stuff...

Makes for a good mother... that's what I tell my kids. "What? Mommy didn't get you clean laundry? How would you like some new laundry instead? Let's go shopping!"
Songbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

And you look so sensible in your photograph too songbirdy LOL
Old 07-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Songbirdy
Knitting the Flap

I shined up good, didn't I?

I had to put my best pic forward!
Songbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

LOL The pic mom gets to see.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You don't have to buy jewellery for knitting, you can tie loops out of short pieces of wool. I actually prefer these a lot of the time because you don't have to keep track of where they are, you can make new ones, also some people find they knit differently around them so you might get a ladder, and they can be heavy and annoying. For lace I usually prefer a narrow ring/band cut from straws. But I was given an adorable stitch marker lately and love it... I use that one...
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 AM   #9
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I can't figure out how to use row counters, so don't feel bad! lol \
I sometimes use stitch markers to mark the beginning of a round. It's also helpful for less counting in repeating patterns such as cables, to know that you restart the pattern after you slip the marker. I'm working on my first sweater right now and I am using all three colors of my Boye plastic stitch markers. The pink indicates the beginning of the round, the blue indicate the fronts and backs of shoulders, so I know that I do my increases before or after the blue markers, and the yellow indicates that I begin working the lace panel. Mine aren't fancy, but they get the job done!!
You can pretty much use them anyway you want, but they can be extremely helpful in keeping the pattern straight and organized in my own mind. :D

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

Stitch markers are used just like book markers, to keep your place in the knitting.

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote