Old 07-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
Children with vocal awareness issues.

We have tried so many different things, but I haven't seemed to get my daughter Genevieve to realize that she talks REALLY loud. ALL THE TIME. It is driving me CRAZY.

Is there anything that worked for you? We've tried whisper talking, reminding her, having her sit down in a chair when she does it, etc. GAH!

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Ok..presuming that she has no hearing issue (I'm assuming not)..then have you thought of taping her in a general conversation with others and playing it back? Obviously you're not aiming to humiliate but rather raise her awareness. If she's taped with others the relative quiet of the other voices will give her a good cross comparison. Her school doesn't comment on the same issue?
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
ChroniclesofYarnia (07-30-2007)
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I have a 14 yo girl with the same problem. It's really embarrassing when we go shopping. It's also something she's just started over the summer, maybe because she spends so much time outside. She really didn't realize she was being loud, so we did "OUTSIDE VOICE"(said very loudly) "inside voice"(said normally) drills. Now I only have to say "inside voice" and she immediately starts talking quieter.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Good idea debinoz.. I had the same problem as a teen and talked very loudly also. I have never needed a microphone to give a speech :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

As a middle school teacher, I can tell you that this is not only normal and common, but a function of hormonal imbalances that occur in adolescence. In all likelihood, she'll grow out of it.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarmenIbanez For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
How old is Genevieve? Could she somehow have picked up or feel that she isn't heard unless she speaks loudly? Have you had her hearing tested?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
She's five, and no hearing issues (just tested a couple months ago). My oldest is 6, and while she had this issue when she was around 2-3, she got the idea with just little fun whisper games and such.

I think that the recording thing would be great, as she just doesn't seem to realize it. If it were just an excited thing, or a playtime issue, it wouldn't be as big a deal, but it is aaaall the time. (Though the old ladies at church seem to really appreciate the extra volume. lol)

I really do hope she grows out of it, or at least develops an awareness. Oy.

(Tomorrow I might feel differently about it. Today just seemed really bad in regards to this. You moms know how it is. lol)

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Oh yes.. I was in the car with my son yesterday and I laughed when he tuned in his iPod (via radio) to let me know to stop talking..however twice I had to say..please stop talking ten to a dozen at ME! LOL Some days you just want peace and quiet. At that age its rather a demand thing but getting feedback via knowing how it sounds may be very helpful (giving her factual information that supports what you're saying rather than mommy just being fussy ) as would debinoz's idea as ongoing behavioural modification. Rather like training puppies isn't it
Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm a Speech Pathologist and agree with the suggestions that others have posted. Positive reinforcement for when she is using her 'inside voice' is really important. Star charts, a special treat, a cuddle from mum or dad, access to a favourite/special game/toy etc.

First though you need to make sure she knows what you mean by an 'inside voice' Make a game of it and talk or shout yourself really loudly explaining that this is your outside voice, but when inside you use your 'inside' voice. Demonstrate your inside voice. Get other members of the family to do this also. You can also experiment with musical instruments, the tv, stereo etc making it loud and soft so she understands the concept. It is really important that she does learn how to use an inside voice, as by yelling, she could potentially be damaging her vocal folds which in the long term can lead to things such as nodules (like blisters on the vocal folds).

I wouldn't discount her hearing though. At this age, children's hearing does fluctuate with things such as 'glue ear' This can make it difficult to hear the volume of your own voice so she's not getting any feedback about how loud she actually is. Have you noticed her turning up the tv louder, sitting closer to the tv or asking 'what' or for repetition a lot?

Remember lots of praise though! And random praise. When you notice her using her inside voice tell her. So often parents pick up on what their child doesn't do but don't seem to notice when they are doing what they are meant to be doing.

HTH,
Mel.b
mel.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I actually have trouble with this sometimes-- I have hearing loss, and my DH just does a subtle down movement with his hand to tell me I started talking too loud. I just don't realize I'm doing it-- it's mostly when I'm too excited. It has taken time, because it's not something I realize...
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote