Old 08-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
tinaknit
Casting On

straight needles to circular
How do you convert a sweater pattern using straight needles to circular???
tinaknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
You add all the cast on stitches from the front and back, minus 4 (for a pullover) to account for the seaming edges.

Every side is your right side, so you have to reverse the directions from the wrong side rows. If it's just purled, then you just knit. If there is a pattern on the wrong side, you have to reverse the order of the pattern as well.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
tinaknit
Casting On

straight to circular
does anyone know how to convert a sweater pattern that was written for straight needles to circular needles???
tinaknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Ingrid's answer is pretty much what I would say. If her explanation didn't answer your question for some reason, maybe you can clarify the question?

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

If there is a pattern on the wrong side, you have to reverse the order of the pattern as well.

does it mean, like...the first stitch meet the last stitch of next row, etc?
do i have to change the knit to purl too and vice versa like previous statement?
so, it will be like 'double' adjustments?

what if there are decrease or increase...sometimes i saw decrease with ssk and k2tog...are they reversing each other? or if for instance, there's ssk for sn on wrong side, i can do the same for right side with dpn and circle?...

does this reverse theory apply to cables? i made cables once and as i remember, it's purled on the wrong side...
so, with dpn or cn, and based on the theory, i have to change the purl into knit...
Nichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
All knits are changed to purls and purls to knit, so if you were doing cables, you'd knit the stitches of the cable on all the rows.

If a pattern was k2, p3, k2, p3 on the wrong side, you'd have to change it tp k3, p2, k3, p2.

When you work the front of a pattern, lets say the stitches are numbered 1-50. On the wrong side, you're really working the stitches back from 50-1. In circular knitting, you're always working 1-50 since you're always working on the front of the piece.

When you do a sweater with armholes, most people stop knitting in the round up to that point, so you'd work the front and back separately back and forth to the shoulders and follow the decreases as written.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote