Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Rhea
1st Leg of the Journey

Any Pagan Knitters?
Good morning!

I've been lurking around all morning and I noticed a few christian-centric knitting threads. I think knitting is the PERFECT thing to incorporate into any spirituality. Recently I have been using knitting in my pagan (wicca-based, but largely personal) path. I find it helps to ground and center myself and is a great way to clear my mind before a meditation sitting. I also find that hand-knitted altar cloths or ritual garments add a lot of personal energy.

I also had the idea of making a shawl, and making sure that as I knit it, I focus calming or protective energies into it, so that when I wear it I can feel those benefits.

Are there any other pagan knitters here? In what ways do you incorporate your craft into your religion?

My DB bought me knitpicks options! He's a keeper for sure!

OTN:
Holly, from InterweaveKnits spring 2008
My very first sweater!
::
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhea For This Useful Post:
ADAllen (08-07-2007), nadja la claire (09-23-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

I am :-) I also use it as a meditative practice, and I see any act of creation as a way to honour the divine. I also make a range of stitch markers out of gemstones, to add another level of feeling to gifts - rose quartz markers for something made for comfort or support, tiger eye for protection etc.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Rhea
1st Leg of the Journey

OOoooo

rose quartz is my FAVORITE stone. My pendulum is rose quartz =]

OTN:
My very first sweater!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
DoulaLyndsey
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DoulaLyndsey Send a message via Yahoo to DoulaLyndsey
I'm a pagan knitter! I find knitting to be relaxing. I've got a pattern for a Celtic knot shawl I want to make as soon as I find the perfect yarn, and the bravery to attempt it lol.

DoulaLyndsey on Ravelry

Currently working on:
-Lotus Blossom Tank (for me!)
-socks for step dad for xmas
-Fiber Trends felted clogs for great-aunt for xmas
-Sun Ray shawl from Elann for grandma for xmas
DoulaLyndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
StefannyJo
Ribbing the Cuff

I am so out of practice for Wicca and so new to knitting I didn't even think of the possiblities! I love the meditation and the gemstone markers. I wish I would have thought of that before I finished this baby blanket. I will do that for the booties.

Thanks for the ideas!

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness. Albert Einstein

OTN: Baby blanket, baby mittens, discloth, washcloth
StefannyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

not a pagan, but wanted to give mad props to you ladies. every pagan i've met has been good hearted and thoughtful. <3

i'm naive enough to think that there isn;t discrimination against witchcraft, but i ran into it at work the other week. from an unexpected source to boot. i was caught very off guard when she said that the tarot was the devil's work and that witches deserved to burn. i laughed because i thought she was kidding and was very sad when i realised she wasn't.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
misha rf

Me too!!

It's usually a calming, centering thing for me. Unless it's something new or complex---then there's lots of swearing.

Geekgolightly, thank you! And sadly, yes, that attitude is still very much present. I see it in letters to the editor in my local paper, in comments overheard in public places, etc. There was a story tonight on the local news about a group of Wiccans performing a ceremony around a majestic magnolia that may well be cut down for some sort of building. I'm grateful they sent their best reporter to cover the story (he tends to be quite fair), but he seemed a little uncomfortable with it.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
Ayla
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Ayla Send a message via Yahoo to Ayla
Pagan Knitter
I am a Pagan knitter! I was going to post something like this but then I found this..Funny how that works anyway I use my knitting as a grounding and centering in my practice. I find I ground and center allot faster then doing it the old fashioned way( Sorry to those of you who are more taditional) Anyway I currently have an idea for a saining blanket it is not on the needles yet as I am still working out the details I know what colors I want to use it is now figuring out the technical things like the finished size. I am raising my 4 month old as a pagan and I am going to have a handfasting and I was wondering if there was anyone who had an idea for making the cords for said handfasting. Well I guess I will go hope things are well with all!
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 AM   #9
Rhea
1st Leg of the Journey

It's great that there are so many of you! I thought I was alone. =[

And yes, there is still a lot of false conceptions about pagans circling around. For that reason, I was kind of afraid to make this thread. Glad to see everyone here is above that =]

Ayla: first off, congrats on the handfasting! Can't think of how to do the cords? I-cord it! You can even pick different colors for the i-cord based on their correspondances and knit them together. A hand-made one will bring a lot of energy to it.

OTN:
My very first sweater!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

I am! Glad to see this started. I'd like to see a continuing thread of information, support, and community here!

Thanks for taking the initiative to start this thread!

BB

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote