Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
True guilty confession time
Everyone, I have a confession to make: I absolutely love Lily Sugar 'n Cream.

I know, I know. And I really have been getting into loving really nice, cool yarns lately. I've grown to learn the difference and appreciate quality products and quality craftsmanship. And I've been shelling out a bit more for nice sock yarn and the like.

But I'm using Sugar 'n Cream for the first time, and I LOVE it! Maybe it's just the first time I've used 100% cotton, but I feel like I'm making something so durable and useful. I'm not even a fan of dishcloths/washcloths, but I want to make them because I'd love to do it with this yarn. It's just great. I'm just using a their super simple teapot cozy with size 7 needles, but I really just LOVE it! I can seriously see myself making EVERYONE some a couple washcloths. I think with some nice soap or something, that'd be a GREAT gift What do you guys think?

I love Sugar 'n Cream. There. I said it.

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
cinnamon_girl
Knitting the Flap

It's so funny you should post this. I just bought Sugar 'n Cream but haven't tried it out yet. I used to think people talking about making washclothes or dishclothes was kind of boring (and I'm afraid to admit, a waste of time). There were so many other things I wanted to knit.
But I ran into an older, wiser, knitter a couple of weeks ago who was making some really pretty cotton washclothes to give with a nice soap as gifts. They looked so sweet and finally the light bulb went off for me. Quick, portable projects, try out new patterns and ready supply of nice little gifts. What took me so long to get on this bus

So I'm excited to hear of your pleasure with the Sugar 'n Cream and I'm looking forward to trying it out later this week. But first I've got to get my first sock of my first pair done!!

Post a pic when you get a chance.

suzygirl @

I'm Suzy Girl on the blog I share with my good friend Jenny Girl .. Come visit us!!
http://twocrazyknitchicks.blogspot.com/
cinnamon_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

I think that would be a perfect gift. I am doing washcloths and soap for a couple of people who have birthdays close to Christmas. I saw a really cool cable and lace washcloth that is 10x10 in a magazine today (can't remember which) that I need to go back to Barnes and Noble to get. It will be perfect with some sort of nice handmade soap.
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
zip

I love it, too! I've never knitted with it until this week. I delivered my SO to the airport on Thursday morning and started a grandmother's favorite dishcloth while he drove. I finished it that night after work and can't believe how much I love it. I've been wondering whether it was the yarn or the addi turbos that made it so easy.

I felt like such a dork for loving it so much. But I want to make twelve more.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

haha We're like newly converted Sugar 'n Cream loving dishcloth knitters, coming out of the closet. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I love it too.. i buy the BIG balls at HL ( they come in a 3 pack) 2 solids and 1 varigate.. and I can mix and match til my hearts content.. I have made crocheted/knitted squares out of them and a few washcloths.. I just love em too~!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

It's An Addiction
Seems like there is a dishcloth thing going on that's catching. I just caught the bug myself. I got hooked on them because they're quick, they're small, you can design your own, you don't have a lot of wool/wool blend sitting in your lap when it's 90+ degrees out with 100% humidity, and it's a good way to use up the cotton I bought to knit a tank top (which didn't turn out). So far I've done two garterlac dishcloths, one based off a stitch pattern in the Reader's Digest Ultimate Source Book of Knitting and Crochet Stitches, and now I'm working on a ballband dishcloth

Mine are all going to my mom for Christmas as part of a goody basket of new kitchen towels and things like that. She just remodeled her kitchen and they will look nice in her bright new kitchen.
annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I've been hooked on dish cloths all summer. I bought a boat load of S N' C before summer in a variety of different colors and I've whipped out a bunch of dishcloths. I need more though.
stitchwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Hmm, what about those little modular knitting squares? I think those would make the dishcloths look especially interesting! I've only done them with sock yarn and size 2 needles though... anyone know how many to cast-on for a regular sized washcloth?

I'm a knitter for Jesus!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
newamy
Working the Gusset

Sugar and cream is great. So many colors. So inexpensive. I've made a bazillion dishcloths out of it. And a dish towel. I once made a little patchwork mitered square purse for my daughter out of it. Triple it up and you can make a bath mat. And cute little washable baby hats, bibs. Whole baby outifts. Check out Mason Dixon Knitting, they use a fair bit of cotton in their book- only Peaches and Cream.

Hint: The colors do fade with washing to prevent this soak finished item in 50/50 vinigar and water for about 15 minutes then wash. It sets the color and helps it last a bit longer- though a dish cloth will still fade eventually with use.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
kaytee (08-07-2007)