Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
emelric
Casting On

How to knit 0 (2,0)?
I am a fairly new knitter attempting a hat pattern. In my decrease rounds, I've just come across "knit 0 (2,0) together through the back loop" at the beginning of the round that later has me knitting 2 together the rest of the round.

Anyone know what that means? I understand knit 2 together through the back loop, but knit 0??

Later on I'll have to knit 0 (1,0) as well so I better figure it out!.

Anyone who can offer some clarity here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Emily
emelric is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

it looks like your hat pattern includes multiple sizes. if that's the case, the number outside the parentheses is for the first size, the first number inside is for the second size, and the second number inside is for the third size.
don't forget to post a picture of your FO!

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
debinoz
Turning the Heel

If it says knit 0, do exactly that. Ignore it and move on to the next direction. LV is correct that it is for different sizes.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Usually if there are three sizes it's
S(M,L) correct?
If so, how come you do 0 for small, 1 for medium, and then 0 for large? Shouldn't the last number be different? I mean, I've done patterns where you could make them different sizes, but I've never seen 0(1,0)

Why do you think it's like that?

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
cftwo
Working the Gusset

It has to do with the way they're getting the pattern to fit in the number of stitches. In the sweater I'm knitting, there are a lot of directions like this. In one section there's an 8-stitch pattern which is repeated across the row. But, not all sizes have a multiple of 8 stitches across. So, you get some k0's to even things out - because SOME sizes need to knit 1 to get the pattern straight, others need to knit 0, and some need to knit 3. I hope that makes sense!
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
redheadrachel (08-09-2007)
Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
emelric
Casting On

hey, thanks!
Ok, it's for the sizing...that makes. I may have repeated the order inside the parentheses wrong - so it might be 0(0,2).

I will have to check on that.

But so basically, I just ignore it for the size I'm working on, which is the size outside the parentheses. Got it.

Thank you all!

It may be a while before I am finished because I just realized last night that knitting through the back loop is totally different from a regular knit!! Which means I've gotten 75% done and haven't been doing the twisted rib my pattern calls for. Instead it's just plain ole ribbed.

Anyhoo - thanks for all the comments, it really helps, especially since I don't know of any other Atlanta knitters yet!

Emily
emelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
knitasha
Turning the Heel

When you're using a pattern that shows several sizes that way, it's helpful to go through it and mark your size with a highlighter wherever there's a multiple direction.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote