Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
knit.newbie
1st Leg of the Journey

wondering about yarn..
I'm really new to knitting..so I'm wondering where is the best place to buy yarn..or the best way to do it..if u get wut im saying

I'm a university students..so not doing so good when it comes to money

so i'm wondering how should I get my best deals and stuff...I'm starting by buying cheap yarn..but when I'm good at it I want to get GOOD yarn!

so..how do you do it??

oh and btw...I live in canada..

Haley is knitting!

OTN:
wide lil simple headband

FO:
skinny ribbed scarf

techniques learned:
the basics(knit, purl, cast on, bind off)
I-cord
(that's it! )

ultimate goal:
make a pretty shrug!

knit.newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I'm not sure what stores you have in Canada, but even local discount and craft stores can have some nice yarn. If you want to move beyond there then check out your local yarn stores. A lot of us shop online, too. Offhand I can't remember who ships to Canada though..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
www.elann.com often has some fantastic deals, and I believe they are Canadian based.

www.yarn.com is another that has great sales, as does www.littleknits.com .

You could also try www.discountyarnsales.com . I'm not sure about their shipping, though.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

you could always go to walmart, joanns, ac moore, michaels, hancocks, hobby lobby, and i'm sure there are more around that i don't know about. BUT, most of their cheap stuff is acrylic. i know a lot of people can't stand the stuff. i'm not too fond of most of it myself, but some of it is actually not too bad. it's all about the feel. if you don't like the way it feels in your fingers, you're DEFINITELY not going to like knitting a five foot scarf with it. michaels has just recently started carrying some of the nicer yarns like bamboo and really nice organic cotton. the other stores may have started carrying them too, but michaels is the only one i've been in recently. they feel really good and come in really nice colors, but they cost more and have smaller yardage. it's a give and take kind of thing. if you don't mind ordering online, knit picks is (imo) the place to get, well, pretty much anything knitting related. the yarn is good quality and cheap, the needles are amaaazing and really cheap, they have great patterns, and right now all their books are 40% off. little knits is also a great place for yarn. they have incredible sales constantly is really nice yarn. the only thing is i've been told there is a $25 minimum order but that they might be willing to "bend the rule" if you give them a call. i haven't been able to order from them yet (although i really want to) so i can't verify this personally.

hope this helps!!!

oh yeah. if you sign up for e-mail lists with the different online yarn shops, they will let you know about new specials and sales. knit picks is especially good about that (and they have cheap shipping!).

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I'm a college student on a budget, too, and Knitpicks.com is a great place to get good deals on really quality stuff

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote