Old 08-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #41
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Zeeza View Post
My thoughts on this, You can buy the pattern(blueprints) to make a house. And you can sell your house for profit. Blueprints are copyrighted. I don't see the difference really, the designers should be proud to see their work on people they meet. Regardless of how they acquired it.
Thank you for the analogy.

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #42
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I thought I'd add this here albeit it is somewhat OT. THis young man has been arrested for translating the french version of HP and putting chapters on the web before the english release. The applicability here is that some people may think they can get away with translating a pattern and using it without fear. Apparently not.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-23109,00.html
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #43
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Jan you're welcome to move that post over if you think it best.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #44
iza
Turning the Heel

House blueprints are also copyrighted. I think you're allowed to build only one house with one set of plans. I doubt you would be allowed to construct several houses and sell them for profit.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #45
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
I thought I'd add this here albeit it is somewhat OT. THis young man has been arrested for translating the french version of HP and putting chapters on the web before the english release. The applicability here is that some people may think they can get away with translating a pattern and using it without fear. Apparently not.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-23109,00.html

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #46
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I'm so torn on this... I understand designers need to pay the bills. However, it does get frustrating when I get asked to make something. Just a question... if someone purchases the yarn for a project... and then ask me to make it-- I feel that they are just providing the supplies and asking me to do the labor. I just often want to make things for friends, but can't afford the yarn... technically they are paying- but only because they are providing the supplies. Any thoughts on this?
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #47
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Because you are not garnering any profit as such, unless the copyright statement says "for personal use only" (or similar), you can make for a friend .The problem in some cases is someone making one, then three, then ten and so on. I recall someone here a while back saying they actually had half a dozen friends wanting the same item - this then becomes the issue of "where does the production stop?"

It *would* be interesting to know what the status would be IF you bought a second pattern or a pattern for each item made. This would then enable more of the same being produced and one could always say you were the sub-agent of the person who bought the pattern. I suspect legally that would be the way to go around the rules although one needs to know I am not a lawyer

My car was driven once by someone who did a task for me. She had an accident - she wasn't hurt but wrote off my car. When she did this she actually had decided to go off and do her own 'thing'. When she was driving within our arrangement of her doing things for me (I was very ill at the time) she was legally my 'agent' and thus I had to accept legal responsibility for any accident. When she choose to go off on her own that broke this legal standing.

So, if your friend bought a pattern and she asks you to 'help' her make it, you are acting within the purchase of the pattern I would think....

What do the lawyers amongst us believe? I actually would have no particular issue following this arrangement because it appears to satisfy everyone's issues.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #48
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Oh..the former was of course within the frame of 'not for profit'.

There is a secondary technicality though on that matter. If a farmer used his tractor to plough my field for an hour and I paid him what it cost for the petrol or diesel he used and tyre wear and engine wear and oil, he could argue that he was receiving but "not for profit". He could say he was simply breaking even and would be 'not out of pocket'.

Could one argue similarly if spending 6 hours knitting someone for someone?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #49
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
My opinion is this: It doesn't really matter how else we apply it, we still have to follow the knitting rules...
It doesn't matter if you can build and sell a house from copyrighted blueprints that much, because if we understand laws surrounding the knitting pattern copyrights, we can't do it with knitting. If you read the link that explains the laws, though, it would be fairly simple to add a good amount of detailing/changes to the pattern to make it acceptable for you to sell.
Honestly, I wish I could sell stuff from someone's pattern. But I feel like I need to obey the laws, whether or not they make sense or I agree with them.

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #50
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Would you be able to charge for your time/labor or does this still violate copyright laws?
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote