Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Avoiding a raised stitch with spit felting and garter stitch?
I know it would be optimal for me to show an image but I haven't got a camera available atm and I thought I'd ask just in case others have experienced this.

I like to spit felt join when I can but in doing a current item in garter stitch, each time the 'join' (like right where the two strands cross over and back) is knitted I wind up with a misshapen stitch in that place. In looking closely it's because the yarn at that point is thicker and so a thicker 'loop' is basically pulling the stitch up and opening it more. When I've knitted double stranded I've not really noticed this because I'm only doing one join at a time.

I think if you felt, this larger hole and raised stitch becomes a non-issue and I guess many of us *are* felting when we do this? But if you're not felting and you want to avoid this larger stitch in a row, is there a way to do it?
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
minkoo
Ribbing the Cuff

I unply the yarn and cut the ply in half. So if it's a 4 ply yarn I cut two ply's off each end, and then I felt them. It's a lot less bulky this way, and after the first time only takes a second to do.
minkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minkoo For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (08-07-2007)
Old 08-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Ahh.. you know I'd not even thought of that..thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

I generally use a Russian Join which creates a bit of bulk, too. I find that once you pass the area and have added a few rows I don't even notice the bulkier st(s). It's real obvious when you are doing it, but it blends into the knitting after there are a few rows and sts around it.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yarnlady For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (08-07-2007)
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Yes, I agree it does tend to disappear somewhat after a while but I was concerned about thinner/finer work I guess. I also see it more obviously in sections where there are colour changes. In the same colour sections it's not so obvious.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
I split the plies in half, too. That way it's not thicker than surrounding stitches for the most part. It tends to be a tad stiffer, but doesn't seem to show overall.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (08-07-2007)