Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

please crochet/knit in memory of Vincent. I'll provide the yarn
I just had a close friend of mine loose their newborn baby boy. he was born full term, but the plecenta ruptured cutting off oxygen, and he couldn't recover from the damage that it caused.
http://vincentvaneekeren.blogspot.com
instead of sending flowers, i thought it'd be more appropriate to help other families in the neo-natal department at the hospital where Vincent was being cared for. I talked to the hospital, and they take donations of hats, blankets and clothing.
If I provide the yarn (or if you have some in your stash that is machine washable), would you be willing to work on a small baby blanket or hat for some infants in need?
it doesn't need to be anything special. just something for a little one to have and snuggle that was made with love while thinking about a little boy who didn't make it. I'm hoping to send my friend pictures of a pile of blankets or hats being sent off in Vincent's name.
i'd appreciate it. let me know.

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast

Last edited by itsjustmeghan : 08-08-2007 at 12:55 PM.
itsjustmeghan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
astonh
Turning the Heel

In Memory of Vincent
I'm a new knitter and have unfortuantely, in our family, experienced this horrific event more than once. My condolences to the family of little Vincent. I can't knit anything big (afraid I'd take too long) BUT I would be honored to have the opportunity to knit a little hat or a blanket for you to donote in Vincent's memory.

I wonder if it is possible to make a tag or something that notes that the item is knit in honor of him?

Being a new knitter, I've got a few needles but no yarn stash yet. If you have some stash that you would be willing to send along with your preference of item to be knitted, again, I'd be thankful to participate.

Thank you for thinking of doing this.

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to astonh For This Useful Post:
itsjustmeghan (08-08-2007)
Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
letah75
Working the Gusset

Do you want things done within a certain amount of time? Would you like specific colors? Blanket size?

I'd love to help out just let me know what all of the specifics are....or if there are no specifics, well let me know that too. :-)

I am keeping their family in my prayers!!!!

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to letah75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
snephenie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to snephenie Send a message via MSN to snephenie Send a message via Yahoo to snephenie
I'd be happy to help out with this! Just let me know where to send it to.

We did the caps for america last year and that pattern knit up SUPER quick, for anytime who is afraid of time restraints.
snephenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snephenie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

i'm up for anything! so if you want to tackle a blanket, you go right ahead. if you want to do a hat, we could certainly do the pattern that snephenie has.
why don't you PM me your address and what you want to knit if you need any yarn. i'm off to walmart tonight to buy some yarn to start up. my knitting group at work has quite a few people volunteering as well.
blankets should be about crib size. i'm sure the hat pattern has measurements for newborns, etc.
i guess a time frame would be fine. i might just start a blog where i can post pictures of progress so their family can see all of the love being put into the projects being worked on in memory of their son.
would that be okay? i'm kinda throwing this all together. i've pm'd shendeh to ask for feedback and support.

let me know what other ideas you have, and PM me if you need yarn and what for.
thank you all so much!! it means so much!!!

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
Old 08-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
pandaca
1st Leg of the Journey

I will definitely make a couple of preemie hats, and I have plenty of yarn. Where should I send them?

pandaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

Progress
i'm in the process of setting up a blog right now.
it's at http://www.knittingforvincent.org
my DH is going to help me redesign it this weekend complete with a list of volunteers (and links to their blogs if you'd like), a button to post in your blogs or in siggies, tally of blankets and hats completed, and photos of works completed/in progress.
So far, between friends and my kh.com family I have about 17 volunteers right now!
i bought $50 worth of yarn last night and cleared out my stash, so i'm hoping to get my coworkers working on projects today.
i'll PM you with the mailing address where you can send completed projects. if you want you can also email me pictures of yourself stitching away, or pictures of you and the completed projects.

blankets don't have to be the full crib size. i'd say a receiving blanket size would be more then enough. also, do a variety of sizes for hats you knit. not all of the babies in their neonatal department are premature. i know vincent was a full term baby.

i also just wanted to thank you all again. i've never met such a wonderful group of giving and caring people as i have on this forum. kh.com really does make me happy. hats off to you, folks. you are all great people!

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
lestrella
Turning the Heel

My condolences to your friends and their family. I would love to participate on this. Do we send the items directly to the hospital or to you?

Check my flickr photos!
lestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lestrella For This Useful Post:
itsjustmeghan (08-10-2007)
Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

Hooray! Thank you for adding your name to the list, Lestrella. anything you can make will be so appreciated!
i'll have you send it to me, so i can photograph, wash and package up blankets and hats in bundles to send off to the hospital. i'll PM you where to send it! thank you SO much!

website is getting there. i need to get pictures up, and change the one on the banner up top. it should be done this weekend!

http://www.knittingforvincent.org

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
knitwit628
Knitting the Flap

I would love to help! I have already started on a baby blue hat to fit a full term baby and have found 3 other preemie hats I knit recently that I could send along. Do you have a due date for the items? School will be starting soon for me, but I will try to send you what I can. Also, would you like baby booties as well? I have 2 or 3 pairs and can knit a couple more if you'd like. Whatever works for you. And I have my own stash of baby yarn so you don't have to worry about supplying me with any. I'm a slow knitter, but will try to contribute in some way.

And good start on your website!

~Alexandria~
Mother Bear- Seaming!
Check out My Blog
I am kssunflower on Ravelry.
knitwit628 is offline   Reply With Quote