Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I'm a Bi-knitter now!
I officially have taught myself to knit English. I've been knitting either combined or continental since I was a child and was always puzzled by how anyone could control the yarn with their right hand. It just seemed so awkward to me.

But I am preparing to teach a knitting class and felt that English knitting was a skill I should have up my sleeve. So with the help of Amy's videos and my 9 yo dd who knits English, I picked up my needles and forged ahead.

This is what I discovered: my garter stitch looks so much better than when I knit Continental and my gauge is much tighter. I'm a loose knitter when I knit Continental so this can be a good thing.

I'm much better at knitting than purling and I'm no speed demon by any means but I made a fairly respectable baby hat knitting English and I'm knitting English style on the Shapely tank that I have frogged at least 8 times till I can get my short row shaping the way I want it.

It's kind of fun to do all that yarn throwing stuff.

Now I really know that it doesn't matter which way you knit, it's just what floats your boat!

And really - I'm a tri-knitter cause I can now knit combined, continental and english! Yippee!

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

Good for you!
I don't think I could ever learn how to knit Continental style. (How could anyone control the yarn with their left hand!?!?)
Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
newamy
Working the Gusset

I find holding the yarn in my left hand awkward- but I'm planning to try a little continental swatch here soon. My one attempt at a crochet lesson I had a terrible time holding the yarn in my left- I was more successful with the yarn in my right hand and the hook in my left which is call left handed crochet!

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Ooh, congrats! Isn't it fun to be able to do several different styles? And now you can Fair Isle with both hands!!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Slim
Working the Gusset

You're the first person I've ever heard of who learned Continental, and then decided to learn English! Good for you! I don't think it matters how you knit as long as you enjoy it. It does annoy me, though, when people make disparaging remarks about English style knitting/knitters. For example, I heard a designer on Knitty Gritty yesterday say that she learned to knit Continental because she wanted to finish more than one garment a year! What a silly attitude over something as inconsequential as a style of knitting!
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
For example, I heard a designer on Knitty Gritty yesterday say that she learned to knit Continental because she wanted to finish more than one garment a year! What a silly attitude over something as inconsequential as a style of knitting!
Yeah, I heard that on Knitty Gritty yesterday! AND it was Vicki Square, the author of the Knitter's Companion! I was kind of shocked, and I think Vickie Howell seemed to be, too. I'm a continental knitter now, but, like most of the people here on KH, I think both are good if you choose which is the best for you. I understand liking your own way, but that was kind of strange comment.

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
chrislt8
Turning the Heel

zkimom - that's great!!! I think it is super that you wanted to have both skills under your belt for teaching-I think that will benefit both you and your students! Good for you!!!

What is funny is that I just taught myself continental (originally learned English) and my gauge is much tighter and more even with the continental style LOL - go figure! Actually, I can't decide which I prefer so switch back and forth between the two based on either mood or pattern. However, if I am doing ribbing or patterns with a lot of k/p switches I prefer contintental 'cause it drives me batty in English moving the yarn back to front in quick repeated successions to switch stitches. I love being comfortable with both styles!

Hmmm...I guess I'll have to look at combined now - not sure exactly what that is, I'm off to check out the video!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Welcome to the bi-knitter club!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote