Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Hypoglycemia and diet
My 9-year-old has problems with low blood sugar. Lately, it's been worse though. She has literally been almost passing out - whooshing sound in her ears, vision going black, unable to walk, cold sweat, vomiting. It's scary. I took her to the doctor yesterday. He has ordered a 4-hour glucose tolerance test and an EEG to rule out seizures. She's not very happy right now. She totally broke my heart. She was very composed in the doctor's office, but the minute we got outside the door, she broke down and cried.

Anyway, he read me the riot act about pop. *I* don't buy pop. My husband and my kids drink the stuff constantly, and hubby and I have gone round and round about pop. I don't drink much pop, so I couldn't care less if it's in the house or not. I've told hubby not to bring it home, but he's as addicted as the kids, so he brings it home despite my protests. Doctor told me I "need to take the bull by the horns" and insist on no pop in the house, so I did that last night. What has me puzzled is that he encouraged me to offer her Crystal Light. Nutrasweet?!?! He says he'd rather she drink that, as she's getting water with it without the sugar, carbonation, artificial coloring, etc.

The thing is, I've read some stuff about Nutrasweet that has me concerned. When I was pregnant with her, my OB/GYN told me NO NUTRASWEET, and since then I quit drinking diet pop. She had been wanting to try Crystal Light before the doctor mentioned it, and now she's all excited that he has suggested it! What do you all think about Nutrasweet?

Also, I have a very picky eater on my hands here. Getting her to eat protein is difficult, especially at breakfast, and proteins are what keep the blood sugar at a more even level longer. I need some creative ideas for snacks/breakfast/lunches to put some protein in her belly so she quits having these plummeting blood sugars. She won't eat PB&J. She won't drink milk or eat yogurt. She won't eat cheese sticks. She won't eat nuts unless they are cashews. Right now, soy milk at almost $4.00 per little carton is what I'm giving her.
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

At nine your darling is old enough to start to understand the issues and the choices..either feel sick as a dog and light headed..or..have some dried apricots or..whatever.

I absolutely support your concern re Nutrasweet etc. I have bad knee problems and I had been using Splenda. A tip from another had me really do some serious research on it. I gave it away and although that in itself did not create my keen pain and inflammation..I started to feel better without it. I dropped out certain muscle pain and so on.

Here you could see a dietician for advice but there are low GI indexes online and in many cookbooks. I could look up these and use anything that was really low GI because that means the energy from the food is used slowly over a period of time (layperson's speak there) rather than the quick hit and rush of sugar.

Your husband may like to consider his role in his daughter's health. Does he want her ill or well..what is he prepared to give up to help you all bring her to wellness? And then knowing everyone will feel better.

I sometimes wonder about the addictive powers of foods. I LOVE mineral water and when I weaned of soft drinks I used to have mineral water and sparkling apple juice and really found that so refreshing. No added sugar and so on. Then because I have a weight problem I had to lessen mineral water because of the salt content. But, arriving at fizzy alternatives can be good. Home made ginger beer or root beer can be glorious and you can control the sugar. The amount of sugar in a can of coke is sickeningly high.

I'm sure others will have some great ideas re foods but I'd look up some low GI indexes and sites and see what you find also. Good luck. And bless you for pursuing this in the face of hubby adversity!
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Ronda, first of all - big . If she has low sugar levels, why does she need proteins? Isn't she supposed to eat carbs, to get the sugar, like potatoes, rice, pasta? And what is "pop"? I just don't know what it is. I think that your doctor should check WHY she's having low blood sugar before she's treated. I, for example, have very low levels of ferritin and the doctors are always giving me iron pills - they just don't work on me because there's something wrong with the way proteins get linked to the iron. You need to get to the root of the problem to understand what she needs to eat. Did you consider going to a nutritionist with her? I hope everything turns out ok
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

KN is right about the carbs really..but you can fix the plummeting sugars via dried fruits also. I guess in a way you often also have to check and ensure the protein levels are stable because sometimes they can be forgotten about a little.

I hear you KN on the iron thing. I have ultra low iron for ages and then developed a parathyroid tumour which sucked the calcium from my system. Talk about muscle pain! Ouch.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Pop is soft drink or..soda as some other US states call it I believe. Here we usually say soft drink.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Carbs burn too quickly. They turn into sugar, spike the blood sugar, then the blood sugar plummets again. Protein is a slow burn. It gives energy but doesn't spike blood sugar.

I know my doctor told me to eat five small meals a day with snacks such as peanuts, cottage cheese, etc. I'll do some thinking to see what kind of kid food might appeal to her.

As for nutrisweet or any artificial sweetner....I steer clear.

Jen
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Ronda
Instepping Out

KnittingNat - Sorry. Pop = soda. Coke and that sort of drink. My daughter was tested when she was 5 because of this problem, although it didn't seem as severe then. Nothing was found, and we were told it was just hypoglycemia. This doctor is ordering a couple of tests to get to the bottom of what is causing this, but he still thinks the problem is hypoglycemia. The thing about eating the protein is that, in the end, your body breaks down all foods into sugars, but protein "burns" longer. If she eats simple carbs (like candy or pop), she will get an immediate spike in her blood sugar (which is good if she is having a hypoglycemic reaction) but then she will drop fast. If she eats small, frequent meals throughout the day - especially foods with protein - her blood sugar will stay more level. She won't have the fluctuating blood sugars. Milk is perfect for this - it has some sugar but it has the longer-burning protein. Problem is, getting her to drink milk is difficult.

Perhaps after the tests are completed, the doctor will refer me to a dietitian. That might be a good idea, guys.

Susan - I so agree with you on my daughter being old enough to understand this whole situation and learn to take care of herself properly. My husband is forever getting upset with ME when she has these reactions. He has it in his head that I can force food down her throat. I can only present her with healthy options. It's HER CHOICE to eat what's placed in front of her. I offer her 3 meals a day, and there are plenty of healthy snacks in the house. I have come right out and explained this entire situation to her. She has had 4 of these almost-passing-out episodes in the last 2 months, one of them at school. I've told her she can continue to have these or she can learn to eat a healthy breakfast in the morning even though she's not hungry.

Which reminds me, the doctor also suggested cereal bars. Now, aren't those just full of sugar and "bad" fats?! I'm beginning to wonder about my doctor.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Interesting Jen as I think one group of diet advisors will argue for carbs..the others against. I think the balance is the key with a little more of whatever the individual body makeup needs but I DO so agree that more smaller meals are better for hypog. problems. When you're talking of what burns of course this can depend a little on how active the person is OR how active they need to be. A pal of mine refuses to eat any carbs after 5 but he will power carb in the morning because he'll cycle and gym for a solid hour or so before work. His lunch is a real balance of salad/protein and carb.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Ronda.. You clever thing you...yes..most cereal bars are pretty bad really..high sugar and fat levels and NOT low GI at all. That said, you can make some of your own.

Could you make the 3 meals five and get into the old fashioned morning tea and 'tea' of an afternoon? Is she the sort that would love to invite her girl pals over next weekend for a rather 'regal' morning tea or afternoon tea? Then you could really lay it on..some thin sliced protein based sandwiches..crusts cut off etc etc..just to make it highbrow..some tiny cakes but low sugar and so on. In other words take advantage of the impressionable age and vamp it up to be something classy and great. Your daughter can play the hostess and 'pour' mineral water or fresh juice and so on...you can wait on them LOL You may set a neighbourhood trend

There are some very high protein cereal grains that also throw in carbs of course. I have had some nice felafel style meals and 'bakes' with those. Hubby needs to become Jeeves and get with the classy program..and if he's intent on blaming you..perhaps hold up a mirror..literally..in front of his face and ask him what HE is doing to model.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Ronda
Instepping Out

You might just be onto something, Susan. She's just the type who would go for the afternoon tea thing. In fact, I might just buy her a little recipe book and let her make her own little sandwiches - with or without friends. She gets into cooking and being creative and she might just eat what she makes by herself. Thanks! Excellent idea.