Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
mulene
Working the Gusset

Warning Ladies Thread: anyone here use Mooncups or Diva Cups?
I've been reading about these a lot lately - obviously with all the talk of climate change etc and reading just how much waste we women produce by using disposable sanitary products once a month for the better part of 35 years got me thinking.

I've heard of these before but never been brave enough to try till now - I got mine in the post the other day but waiting for the right time to use it *cough*

Anyway theres this amazing site in the UK called Daisybox online and they do all sorts of environmentally friendly products for women.

Anyone used one and what are your thoughts?

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I've never used one, but could you update us when you try it? I'd love to pollute less and also save money ... Tell us if it's comfortable...I'd love to hear about your experience
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
mulene
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
I've never used one, but could you update us when you try it? I'd love to pollute less and also save money ... Tell us if it's comfortable...I'd love to hear about your experience
I am happy to do so I have a friend who uses it when I saw this article on Daisybox in a newspaper supplement a couple of weeks ago I mentioned it to her. She said "Oh yeah I've been using it for years but mine's called a Diva Cup and I imported it from Canada about 5 years ago"

She said its very good and easy to use but takes a bit of getting used to - a couple of cycles she suggested.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
I've used a Diva for five years now, and absolutely love it. I wouldn't go back to pads and tampons for anything. I've also converted two of my friends.

I recommend practicing inserting before your period, just to get the hang of it. You also might want to wear a pad the first couple cycles, just until you figure out how much you need to empty it and such. (My first 3 days I have to empty it 2 to 3 times a day, after that once in the shower is just fine. All depends on the flow.)

Anyhow, if you have specific questions I can answer most of them. lol. I wanted to give my two thumbs up on this product, cause it really did make my life so much easier. (and saved me loads!)

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

This is a new one on me. I'm afraid I've had a hysterectomy and bled for more than 120 days straight before I did. And I would flood every hour or so - enough to go through clothes. Needless to say I wasn't that well. I used an all cotton product - both pads and tampons. Sounds like the item you're suggesting would not have been suitable for me but I guess women with light and regular periods would be fine. Is it like a test tube shape?

Mind you, I smiled at the thread title cos I thought you were talking bra cups and I thought..hmm..some men may really want to know this
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I've been using a Diva Cup for about 6 years now. I have REALLY HEAVY flows (like needing a super plus tampon AND a regular pad and still have to change both after 1 1/2 hrs). With the Diva, I only need to dump it about 4 times in 24hrs on my heavy days. It has gotten rid of my period cramps. I know several women who use Diva's and some that use Keepers (virtually the same as a diva, but made with natural gum rubber). It does take some practice to get it in right, and when you first get it, you will be shocked at how large it seems. Just make sure you order the right size for you, and trim the tip so it doesn't poke you.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I had to wear two super tampons at once and two pads..front and back with an overlap and change every hour on the dot. But that sounds reassuring JaX3303. I DO so agree that the cost..apart from the environmental one..is phenomenal. I was spending $35 a week on protection at one point. Ridiculous. Few families these days can sustain that kind of expenditure.

Well, you learn something every day and that's for sure!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
mulene
Working the Gusset

Yep got to admit when I saw it I was like thats HUGE! I didn't expect it to be so flexible either I dunno why.

LOL about bra cup sizes - as I posted it the thought did cross my mind hahaha

Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
mulene
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
Is it like a test tube shape?
No its more of a kinda cup shape. More info about them here:

http://www.divacup.com/

and

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Thanks mulene..it's interesting to know these things...simply in the sense of talking to younger woman (or same age as me!) and knowing alternatives. I think it would be, initially, a trust thing for me but fascinating.

Can you say swim with it in? I ask because I do know women who train in the sea and they are ok with tampons as long as they change immediately they get out. I presume your muscles just naturally contract around it so it should be fine.