Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Not to be silly but...

Lemon
Vinegar
Baking soda
Soda water
Dried herb and flower leaves and petals

I use a product for clothes washing that is probably not sold there.

I do use the old fashioned cleaner here called Gumption I admit - for stubborn stains on tiles etc. It's like a thick paste but you only need a little and I would buy one a year only at most.

My son had a foul drain in his apartment and I poured baking soda down it and then hot water...left it a while and re-did it. No smell. It fizzed up and did a wonderful job.

Re the dried herbs etc. SO many commercial bathroom/room scents etc are made with throw away plastic and chemical compositions. If you have a really good assortment of dried leaves and flowers with a stick of cinnamon this often does a fine job as an air freshener. I love lavender too for this. Hanging a bunch up and it looks pretty.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #22
newamy
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Lemon
Vinegar
Baking soda
Soda water
Dried herb and flower leaves and petals
I use vinegar and water on my floors and Bon Ami powder cleanser on sinks/toilets.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Re: trash... Our city requires us to have recyling, trash and green waste bins. We always have far more recyclables than trash and some weeks we only put out the recycle bin.

I'm using up my plastic trash bags right now, but want to get some biodegradable soon. I bought some bags for reusing at Target. $1 each..couldn't pass them up so I have 3 now.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #24
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Hmmm...no recycle program where I live. This was one thing that was difficult to adjust to after moving from south FL, where recycling is huge.

Here's a site that sells biodegradable bags (along with a bunch of other stuff).

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:36 AM   #25
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Obviously not near metals but a cheap effectively cleaner can be salt at times...few drops of water and a small soft bristled scrubbing brush. Salt water is also quite a good mouth rinse.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #26
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Baking soda was incorrect actually. My apologies. It was bicarbonate of soda (which is also in baking soda). It was bicarb I used on the drains.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:04 AM   #27
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

OMG, you overwhelm me! Here in Israel recycling is so under-developed, there are barely special bins for plastic bottles on the streets. Nobody recycles paper. And i'm using all the regular laundry stuff and detergents. You all got me thinking! I can't really recycle my trash, i put it in plastic bags i get from the supermarket, it's cheaper than to buy special plastic bags for trash. and i suppose if i'll find biodegradable (sp?) ones they will cost a fortune here. I did find stores that sell Ecover products and i'll go and check it out. It's hard and extremely expensive to be enviromentaly aware in a country that doesn't give a d...n about it's nature, killing the Dead Sea little by little and lots of other examples. You're great enablers!
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #28
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Made the pilgrimage to this place yesterday. http://www.wildoats.com/u/home/

Lots and lots of earth friendly products there.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #29
newamy
Working the Gusset

Quote:
What do you do about your trash?
If there isn't a good recycle program through your garbage company some local natural food stores might take some items. In our town the recycling program is awsome. But the local Co-op takes frozen food boxes, aseptic containers-like soy milk comes in, and styrafoam. So we take all that sort of thing over there since it can't be taken at cub side. Mailing companies often will take and reuse styrafoam packaging "peanuts" too. There are also new peanuts out there made of cellulose that break down in water.
The other idea- though it takes some planning is don't buy items with excessive packaging in the first place. We never buy things like Lunchables and try to avoid other products that have 3 layers of packaging before you get to the item.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #30
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
OMG, you overwhelm me! Here in Israel recycling is so under-developed, there are barely special bins for plastic bottles on the streets. !
Nat, if you don't have recycling there are things you can do to help that don't really cost money or much at all anyway. If you work take your lunch in something like tupperware so you don't have any trash waste. Use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning when you can, etc. Every little bit helps. You might also if you can send a letter or get all your earth friendly friends to send letters or approach a city council..not sure how your country works.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
KnittingNat (08-12-2007)