auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Yeah! I made it sticky!
Thanks a bunch, Jan!!!!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #52
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
oooh i have to look at the name of the product i bought here a while back. I got mine at whole foods but they are available at target too. They have little lunch boxes, salad containers, breakfast containters, etc... and they have a freezer pack thingy that fits right in there to keep the food cold. I can't remember the name off the top of my head right now but I will try to look when i get home. very cool! (uuh...literally )
Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #53
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I'm starting this thread for you to share what environmentally friendly products you have used and how they work for you..good or bad.
at my Summer job, an Ecology Summer Camp, we use something called H2 Orange 2 it is an H2O2 and orange oil Product. You dillute it to 2 different strengths (Red and Green) and use it according to the severity of the staining Substance. It cleans very well on Biohazard, and needs very little Rinse-ing after it sets. It cleans up Finger Smudges, blood stains, Dirt, Food, Mold, Mildew, Various Bodily Secretions, and the like. That Company has a Great Degreasing agent whose name I do not know, but my Friend who worked in the Kitchen SWEARS its the best she has ever used (she also runs a Cleaning Buisness).
the best thing about it is, when its done its job, it leaves NO scent, not Orange, not Soap, not any (this is a good way to know if you missed some Vomit or Feces on a REALLY bad clean up job).

just my own Product Plug (and I buy mine from the distributor at camp, not a website)

My County has Mandatory Recycling with a "Pay-as-you-throw" program, recycling is free, but to throw away trash you have tobuy special Trash bags at $1 each, so we use less than one bag a week, Compost all food, and natural Fibers that cannot be reused. Box Board, Cardboard, Junk Mail, magazines, Various Plastics, and all cans (tin and steal get seperated by a magnet), Scrap metal and appliances have their own Bin, Milk cartons and Plastic Jugs, and glass is seperated by Color. A bit of work, and initail expense to make bins at home to make seperation at the Dump easier, but its well worth it after all.

Oh, BTW, Great Thread
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #54
hemmingway
Casting On

most of this has been said already, but i'll add to it:

my roommate uses a foldable nylon bag when she shops. It's sort've like this
It folds up into a small pouch and then she keeps it in her purse and always has it with her. She's in the process of sewing me and our friends some. It's really sturdy and larger than the one i linked. (i found the one she uses at Claire's on a clearance rack)

We live in a dorm, so it's hard for us to compost, but the university has a garden with a compost pile off campus. We put all our compost stuff in the freezer until we can make it out to the garden to deposit it.

A really simple thing is to use all of the paper (write everywhere, print two sided) before you recycle it. I started doing this and was amazed at how much my paper use decreased.
hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #55
letah75
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by hemmingway View Post
most of this has been said already, but i'll add to it:

my roommate uses a foldable nylon bag when she shops. It's sort've like this
It folds up into a small pouch and then she keeps it in her purse and always has it with her. She's in the process of sewing me and our friends some. It's really sturdy and larger than the one i linked. (i found the one she uses at Claire's on a clearance rack)

We live in a dorm, so it's hard for us to compost, but the university has a garden with a compost pile off campus. We put all our compost stuff in the freezer until we can make it out to the garden to deposit it.

A really simple thing is to use all of the paper (write everywhere, print two sided) before you recycle it. I started doing this and was amazed at how much my paper use decreased.
sounds like the chico bag I mentioned in an earlier post! I have one that is clipped to my purse. On the plus side it makes a great knitting bag too!

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #56
marykz
Working the Gusset

I have a question about compact fluorescent bulbs- before I buy a bunch then find myself a crazy person.... do they have the same sort of "hum" or "buzz" that the fluorescent tube lights have? do they have that same sort of "flicker"? (anyone know what I mean? maybe I am just crazy but I hate the overhead fluorescents that are in office buildings etc. when I have to sit in a room with one all day I'd rather sit in the dark.)

And, should I just replace bulbs as they burn out, or throw away the perfectly good working bulbs to replace them with new energy effecient ones?

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #57
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,743 Times in 7,115 Posts
I would replace them with CL bulbs as the others burn out myself.

As for noise and flicker.. We have one right now (using up old bulbs) and it doesn't seem to flicker or make noise.

My concern with CL bulbs is are they bright enough. The one we do have is not, but I know they have improved tremendously over the years.

One thing to note, Mary.. they seem to be larger and can hit a lampshade if it's close. You might buy a couple and see how it goes. Oh and read this -
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls
http://www.greenlightsusa.com/index2...FRZNYQodCzrhxg

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #58
marykz
Working the Gusset

Thanks Jan! and I'm glad to know about the size warning too- wouldn't want to start a fire while trying to save energy!

I'm thinking of buying a few for lights we use a lot, like the hall, and the bathrooms, and see how it goes. the little one just doesn't turn out the lights when she leaves a room... I know its a kid thing. I distinctly remember being told all the time to turn out the lights as a kid....

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #59
madametj
Working the Gusset

Does anyone know where to find compost bins?

Sorry, I don't really know of any environmental products, but http://www.thedailygreen.com has great tips for everyday living.

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #60
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by figaro View Post
I just bought 3 bento boxes for my girls lunches!

figaro, i laptoplunches.com. i never actually bought their lunchbox, but i did stop using a paper bag everyday, and i'm eating nearly wasteless lunches everyday!

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote