Old 08-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Amberle
1st Leg of the Journey

On weaving in ends
Two sort of statement/questions:

1) I'm still not convinced that weaving in ends at a color change, for instance, is going to keep the whole thing from unraveling. Wouldn't a knot be more secure?

2) After weaving in ends, how close to the fabric can you trim them? I'm too embrarrassed to give someone a striped scarf with little 1/4" tails poking out all over.

Could one of you many more experienced knitters tell me what's worked for you? Advice from someone who's colorful fo's haven't unraveled would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Amberle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I used to always do knots..always..but then found they created a 'bump' and on fine wools were more evident than I hoped and one has to also cut that off too and you still wind up with a small tail but right on the edge. I then started to weave in and really prefer it now. I've never had anything come undone..ever..and I've made blanket/rug panels with loads of ends woven in (never again!).

I'm sure others will give tips but if I'm using thick or chunky yarns you honestly don't tend to see the tails and I often use a needle to tuck them under a stitch bump (like on a purl stitch) and they stay there. I've never really done a load of colour changes on a fine yarn object so this is where others would be able to better advise.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Amberle
1st Leg of the Journey

I definitely like the idea of tucking the end under a purl bump. And you're right, you still have to cut the yarn next to a knot ... I didn't think of that ... heehee. I guess I'll just trust what they say about weaving in ends. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I do go back and forth a fair bit..I change directions too in the weaving. I probably over do it really but I do think weaving in one direction and then the other not a bad plan If you DO overdo it, it can show in terms of additional thickness so..don't overdo it LOL

Good for you anyway..I'm sure you'll find it a good approach and you'll be satisfied with results.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

If you find it difficult to trust the knitting/woven ends, maybe do a little practice square in something that won't felt, weave in the ends from a couple of different colours, and throw it in the washing machine a few times. When the ends don't come out, you'll feel safer on real projects. Check out the Knitty article on weaving in ends as in duplicate stitch. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

i've just started something new when i weave. i split the stitches as i weave, rather than weaving totally UNDER. so far so good.

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I do the weaving in going in different directions, whatever seems appropriate to what I'm doing. I ususally do like Dakatzmeow and split the stitches on the back instead of going clear under anything. I never tie knots and have done a lot of things with color changes and not had anything fall apart. Sometimes I work back on myself, sometimes not. I don't think there is any one way to do the hiding of the ends. I do it for about 2 inches maybe more sometimes. I work intuitively, not systematically, about it, until in each situation I can confidently think, "It will never get out of this." :-) That is when I stop. I stretch the tail a little after it is worked in so that it is comfortably loose and reached its "natural" length. Then I just cut them off flush with the knitting. Some folks leave a little short piece that is intended to felt (I use a lot of acrylic, so won't happen anyway), but I'm like you I don't like the look of them. If you used natural animal fibers and make it for yourself you might do that for added insurance, and look at them after a few washings and if they are not behaving themselves, cut their little tails off. LOL
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
stagebear
Knitting the Flap

i weave in the ends like the knitty article. most of the time, as i'm joining yarns, i knit the ends in with the working yarn so there's less to do later.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
Amberle
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for all the encouragement about your work not unravelling and the suggestions! Really Redwitch caught me: I"m knitting a Harry Potter scarf in cotton for a friend who's allergic to wool, and I just had visions of her having a Gryffindor frog after a couple of Harry and the Potters shows, lol! I'll trust the weaving, as it seems to have worked for you guys.

Cheers