Old 08-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
knitme
Ribbing the Cuff

Knit Sweater First Time
Are there any videos are really, really instructions for knitting a sweater for the first time?

I have been trying to read patters and I get confused when it comes to either the collar or sleeves part and how it all comes together.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get started easily. Photos or videos would help.
knitme is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
What kind of sweater are you wanting to knit? Pullover? Cardigan? Do you mind seaming or want it seamless?

Here's some basic instructions for a top down pullover. She was, of course, using a pattern from Knitting Pure and Simple. They are great patterns btw.
http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/knitalong.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
Your best bet is not to try to understand the entire pattern just from reading it. Do it one line, one section at a time. Trying to understand certain things without the knitting in front of you is like reading directions ahead for putting together a bicycle--flange A to socket B????

When you hit something you're not sure of, come here and ask--there's always someone around to take you through.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
knitme
Ribbing the Cuff

I am interested in learning how to make a sweater on a whole first then I guess eventually to seams or however most patterns are.

I will take a look at the link. And yes will come back if I have questions. I'm afraid of sounding stupid or being stuck and unable to fix problems. We shall see
knitme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 AM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Don't worry about sounding stupid. We don't have stupid questions around here. Just questions.

I understand you worrying about getting stuck or not being able to fix problems. I used to feel that way too. If you are trying to learn on your own that is a problem, but you are not alone now. Try to pick a basic sweater for your first project and with help from people here we will get you through it one way or another. :-)
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
tish
Ribbing the Cuff

knitting sweater for the first time
what has helped me is to collect all sorts of knitting books, from yard sales to second hand stores. Some have tidbits of information that you can use for future projects. some have pictures that show you exactly what you need. Are there any videos in your local library?