Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Knitting while reading: a dangerous skill
Hey everyone! Someone suggested that I should try to knit without looking at it quite so much, to avoid straining eyesight. Well I've been practicing it on a pair of simple, basic socks for the past few days and I'm getting pretty decent at it, especially on endless rounds of stockinette.

But I just tried it and realized something: I can knit while reading!! Maybe I shouldn't have discovered this skill, because it's really dangerous: I'll never leave the house now!!! Combining reading and knitting, I don't think anything could get better! And this will be a great way to study at school AND get in knitting time: I can be reading about composers, study music literature, practice French verb conjugation, all while knitting sweet socks and other simple designs!!!

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people could do this, and they either already do and haven't told me about it yet, or are about to discover one of the greatest joys in life.

I still can't knit while playing piano, but let's not rule it out: Bugs Bunny played Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2 with only six toes... Well maybe I can't have everything.

Anyhow, I'm off to go finish the last Harry Potter book. And a pair of socks. At the same time.

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
debb
Knitting the Flap

I just wish I could do it, that would be the perfect way to spend my free time. Unfortunately, I'm not only too much of a klutz to do both, I tend to get so totally engrossed in my books, I lose track of most everything.
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Oh my, you are talented! I wish I could because knitting and reading are my two favorite things.

I can't even knit and talk at the same time! My DH will ask me a question and I will say, in a very panicked voice, 'not now, I'm knitting!'

Maybe one day I'll be advanced enough to join the group of knitters-who-can-do-other-things-while-knitting.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
scout52
Working the Gusset

Do you have something to hold the book open?
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I can do several stitches and then I look to make sure I haven't made a mistake. I don't do it while reading though. I prefer to have my whole mind involved in the book.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
lostchyld
Ribbing the Cuff

It never occurred to me not to knit while reading. I just started knitting the first time while I was reading and then noticed that I liked knitting. Never let it be said that I'm sane. I suppose it helps that I was learning to knit from a book.

Anyways, I've progressed to the point where I put my chart next to the computer and browse the forums while knitting. Or read fanfiction. It's loads of fun.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I can knit and read if it's really simple knitting and I'm reading on the computer screen or something I don't have to hold open. I've tried to figure out how to hold a book with my feet, but I get frustrated.
I'm still convinced I'll someday teach myself to type with my toes while knitting.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I can knit and read as long as I don't need to hold the book open (or I can read a computer screen). It's actually a rather restful way to do work reading.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I can knit garter or stockinette while reading, but I stick to fanfiction and blogs - something I don't have to hold open. DVDs are also good for knitting.

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Slim
Working the Gusset

Okay, I am literally LOL!! You guys are too funny. You still have to put down the needles to eat, don't you? And here I thought I was doing really well because I can watch tennis matches on TV while knitting. My skill level is so far below yours I may never catch up.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote