Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
`Ezra
Casting On

New at Kniting Question.
Okay I just started kniting like yesterday, and I still getting the hang of it. And I'm trying to knit a scraf, and The Tail off of the yarn keeps getting in the way, and when I start to knit, then it doesn't look right! So..... what do I do?
`Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Are you knitting the tail with the first 3 stitches?

I like to do this, so it keeps it secure, and then I trim the tail to around 5 inches so it isn't in the way as much.

The trick when you first get going, is to just keep knitting. If you cast on and cast on and cast on and it never looks quite 'right' you won't get anywhere. Cast on and knit and just keep knitting and you can see your progress from the beginning, and how you settle and get comfortable.

It gets easier, I promise. Just keep knitting.

goodluck.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
plfloydie
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to plfloydie
I don't use the "tail" for anything except the end I weave it in. . . you can trim it so it's shorter, (if it is long) but like Krystal says; just keep going. . .keep practicing. . a scarf is a great first project; but maybe for a while you should try getting your technique down. . .get the feel for it, there's a real rhythm to it. . .and it is so relaxing. . .
ENJOY AND GOOD LUCK!!!
plfloydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
`Ezra
Casting On

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
Are you knitting the tail with the first 3 stitches?

I like to do this, so it keeps it secure, and then I trim the tail to around 5 inches so it isn't in the way as much.

The trick when you first get going, is to just keep knitting. If you cast on and cast on and cast on and it never looks quite 'right' you won't get anywhere. Cast on and knit and just keep knitting and you can see your progress from the beginning, and how you settle and get comfortable.

It gets easier, I promise. Just keep knitting.

goodluck.
Well.....is that what I'm supposed to do? I really wasn't sure if I was supposed incude it or not.
`Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
sugarfunpouch
Knitting the Flap

Are you knitting in the tail? Try that! Cast on. then knit the first stitches with the yarn and the tail, once you are done with the tail then just go to just the yarn. Make sure you knit the stitch you knitted with the tail and yarn as one stitch!
Obama is my candidate for the election!
sugarfunpouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've never knit the tail in (okay, maybe only once or twice), so you don't have to - it's just a preference. The trick is to not use so much for casting on with. If you start it over one more time, use less and there won't be so much tail. But I do second the recommendation to keep going. The first row never looks like much anyway, so you need a few inches to see if you're knitting okay.

BTW, I suggest you just CO about 20 or 30 sts for practice instead of trying to make something. Practice a few inches of knit every row, then switch to knit a row, purl a row, then you might want to try some increases, then decreases, then ribbing. By then you'll have made something - a nice sampler.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote