Old 08-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #31
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Limey,

You win. I'm not going to argue with you any more. I've said enough to defend myself properly.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #32
iza
Turning the Heel

Well... let's go back to the original subject of the post. You have a very cute little dog and your story is funny.

It reminds me of something that happened to me with my parents' dog. I don't remember what happened but she got out of the house (sometimes, accidents DO happen... anyways). She was about 1 year old at the time. I was in my pajamas, and couldn't find my boots (it was in the middle of winter, of course). So I took the first pair I could find... my brothers' (who wears size 12 shoes). I ran out of the house, calling the dog. My dad came to help. She was just running between me and him, having a blast. I bet you the neighbors were having a blast too. Finally she ran towards my dad, he moved to try to catch her. And suddenly... BOOM! Collision between a 70 pound Bernese mountain dog running at full speed and a 200 pound man. The dog fell on one side, my dad on the other. She got back on her feet in no time, wagging her tail, as happy as a clam. My dad took a bit more time but he was ok. He managed to grab the dog and we came back home.

Funny how it goes, this dog is now 8 years old, 90 pounds and is the most boring dog ever! So there's hope for your little mischievous puppy!
The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (08-18-2007)
Old 08-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #33
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi Iza

Yes, dogs and pups can be especially daft and funny and cute - that's why we like them so much.

The thought of someone careering round the neighbourhood at 5.30 am trying to catch their puppy does have it's funny side to the story .... but please, aren't there better punchlines than that puppy's going to get an electric shock next time she makes a break for it out of the garden?
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #34
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Auburn... Didn't we start out having a disagreement like this?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #35
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Oh! I love Burnese Mountain Dogs!!

And WAR EAGLE
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #36
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Jessica, you are so right! Just look at us now!

And Sharly, War Eagle to ya! Football season is right around the corner!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #37
Sharly
Turning the Heel

You are so right! I'm looking forward to college football and cooler weather!!

I got the cutest tote bag at Bath & Body yesterday that is blue and orange! It would make a pretty good knitting bag, too!!

Thake care!!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #38
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Boy oh boy don't know if I want to get into this discussion
but here goes
I have 2 shock collars.I think they are a great tool in training IF used properly. By that I mean training your dog to listen for the BEEP first.Most dogs will think what the hell is that?And stop doing what they were doing and then you reward them with Praise.My dogs started chasing deer.In the US dogs are shot on sight for that.At first they just chased them out of the yard,but after awhile they turned it into a game and going in the woods.So I got the shock collars for that reason.When I got them I used it on me first.( shocked my hand.)But found out that levels 1 & 2 are not bad at all.Haven't tried other levels because had no need to.I first would beep them and then if that didn't work I hit level 1.They stopped dead in their tracks and just stood there.Again what the hell was that?It doesn't hurt them ( I know when something hurts my dogs)but they don't like it.So when they would go after deer I would yell wait(which to them is to stop dead in their tracks which they already knew from my training them)if that didn't stop them I would beep them if that didn't work then I would shock them on level one if that didn't work I would bump it up to 2 and that ALWAYS did it.So got to the point that all I would have to do is yell wait and if they didn't stop I would just have to BEEP them. Now all I have to do is yell wait.Worked like a charm.Needless to say my collars are put away now. I don't have to worry about my 2 Labs getting shot for chasing deer. Don't get me wrong this took a lot of work on MY part.To watch to see when the deer would come in the yard and if the dogs would feel like chasing them that day.

So that is my opinion on shock dog collars like it or not.
They are a GOOD training when used by someone who knows how to use them.And of course it's like anything else it can be abused.I have seen regular dog collars embedded in dogs necks that had to be remove surgically because they are tied up and just left there day in and day out.It was a St.Bernard the most gentle dog you could ever want.But wouldn't stay in the yard so the owners just left her tied up.
Anyway spay and neuter your pets and we won't have so many dogs that aren't wanted because people are to lazy to train them.
Limey don't hate me

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #39
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Forgot to add that I would NEVER use the shock part of this collar on a puppy.I would use the BEEP though.

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #40
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

All I can say is that Molly responds to the beep now. She is learning that she has limits, yet she is still happy as can be.