Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #51
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi Denise

When you say that e-collars work where conventional methods fail, I'm afraid these people just don't agree with you (The Association of Pet Bahaviour Counsellors)

http://www.apbc.org.uk/article2.htm

If people know they are restricted in the kinds of fences they can build, then in makes no sense to have a breed of dog which can jump or is bred to dig, like a terrier.

Julie
I do understand Julie that you at least did try it on yourself - however, I still feel that you should have built a secure area in your garden for the dogs - you've enough space - what on earth are you thinking of though, having deer wander close up to your house when you've got two labs? It's just asking for trouble.

Iza - You're right - there are differences between the US and the UK but I've yet to come across anyone concerned with animal welfare who advocates the use of these horrible things - American welfare organisations certainly don't.

If the British Military, the Police, Search and Rescue, Guide Dogs for the Blind Association and all the major animal charities in the UK condemn their use - then they're doing it for a reason.

It's not a question of whether to agree to disagree, it's a question of who to trust - and I tend to trust people who put their money where their mouths are - I'd trust a police dog handler who's dog sniffs out explosives, rather than someone who thinks it's okay to give an electric shock to a puppy, just because it gets under the fence.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #52
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Geez ya'll let it die. People have different viewpoints accept it and move on. Beating a dead horse isn't going to change most people's minds, it just serves to cause a fight.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #53
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Limey
How am I suppose to keep wild deer out of my yard?They don't care if you have dogs.I have had even a bear, moose, beaver, eagles owls hawks and bunnies in my yard.Am I suppose to fence in and out the whole world? Come on Limey I live live in the woods.

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #54
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi Stitchwitch

Look, I'm sorry if this dog post is becoming a pain in the proverbial - it is however, a very emotive issue which people feel strongly about and it is an Off Topic thread.

I let the whole subject drop at the weekend but people have written since, expressing their views and I think it's only fair to have the right of reply.

All the Best - sorry again if it's causing you grief!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #55
momwolf
Instepping Out

ya leave us alone in our misery.You tell her Limey

Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #56
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

No problem. Carry on with your bickering.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #57
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Limey View Post
what on earth are you thinking of though, having deer wander close up to your house
I have to admit this comment made me laugh. I'm not a dog owner (and only like some dogs), so I won't comment on the topic at hand. I will say that there are places in the US where there are so many deer that stopping them from going wherever they want to go is pretty much impossible. I live in one of the states with the highest rate of deer-caused traffic accidents. We quickly learn to watch for and respect deer because they'll do whatever they want to do and go wherever they want to go - fence or no fence. And when it's deer against car - neither wins. Mating season around here can be dangerous.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
momwolf (08-21-2007)
Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #58
Limey
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cftwo View Post
I have to admit this comment made me laugh. I'm not a dog owner (and only like some dogs), so I won't comment on the topic at hand. I will say that there are places in the US where there are so many deer that stopping them from going wherever they want to go is pretty much impossible. I live in one of the states with the highest rate of deer-caused traffic accidents. We quickly learn to watch for and respect deer because they'll do whatever they want to do and go wherever they want to go - fence or no fence. And when it's deer against car - neither wins. Mating season around here can be dangerous.
Oh Deer Deer!!! - glad you told me that one

I must tell my mates where I lived in Southern Africa to stop wasting their time erecting fences to keep out the Gemsbok and the occasional Springbok strolling by. Can't imagine why they spend so much money then, protecting their houses and gardens from local wildlife.

I wonder too why they have fences all around the national parks when they won't keep any animal in - all a bit futile really.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #59
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
It's not a question of whether to agree to disagree, it's a question of who to trust - and I tend to trust people who put their money where their mouths are - I'd trust a police dog handler who's dog sniffs out explosives, rather than someone who thinks it's okay to give an electric shock to a puppy, just because it gets under the fence.
Limey,

My husband is a law enforcement officer. Some of his best friends are dog handlers. I trust my husband.

The collar has also stopped my precious dear from running into the road in front of my house. It's not a punishment. It is a method of protection.

I can understand that you feel passionate about this issue. When we feel passionately about issues, we can get blinded to how we come across when trying to make our point. I think that this one has been beat (maybe shocked) to death.

I do believe that the members of this board are compassionate people. Who else would knit for the simple pleasure of giving to others? Many people on this board knit blankets for animal shelters. If some of those people choose to use wireless pet containment systems, oh well. That doesn't change who they are.

I love the people on this board. God has expanded my family to include all of you. We can disagree, but it doesn't stop us from being a "family." Just please don't judge me or any of us. Some of us can't help our circumstances (wild animals coming to our door), and some of us make different choices from others.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
momwolf (08-21-2007)
Old 08-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #60
momwolf
Instepping Out

Limey if you think I'm gonna fence in 40 acres 10 feet high (do they make fence that high) it would cost me a fortune.
I'm done on this subject.Limey I'm sorry this has broken our friendship up but I'm just as passionate about keeping my animals safe and in control as a good dog owner should be.And if that means a shock collar well then I guess there isn't much more for us to say.But at least I have control over my dogs when the grandkids come over and don't have to lock them up in another room.I'm done here as once again we dog people are soooooooooooo passionate over our dogs.Spay and neuter your pets please Now on to better topics like the Swappers