Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I HATE WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!
I don't see how (or why) so many people use PCs.

Macs just work so much better. Let me rephrase that. Macs work.

I have an iMac but it's upstairs in my office. Sometimes in the morning I sit on the couch with my coffee and borrow my dh's Sony Vaio (which I also hate because of the pesky touch pad that is always changing pages on me midpost.)

Just so you know, dh would love to switch his whole business to Macs because of all the computer issues he has with PCs -- it's just those pesky clients insist on using Windoze. He has computer issues on a daily basis which is sad because his business is computer based.

How do you guys do it? Every 5 seconds, something else goes wrong and I have to start up again. If it's not that, it's viruses or all the other stuff that magically ends up in the system.

You'd think that by now, someone would have figured out how to protect the OS from being so invaded.

Aargh -- I HATE PCs! And Bill Gates should hang his way too wealthy head in shame for such a shoddy imitation of the Mac OS.

Ok, rant over.

Just so you know, these days I'm on crutches, so getting up and down stairs is not my fave thing to do. Once I'm down with my coffee I kinda like to stay here as long as I can get away with. Just so you all don't think I'm too lazy to make it back upstairs to my Mac.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd

Last edited by zkimom : 08-29-2007 at 08:32 AM. Reason: ETA
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
So sorry!!!!!

I've learned that the problems I encounter with the OS are just a part of life, much like everything else. I deal with them and move on.

Hope you are off of your crutches real soon so you can make your way back upstairs to your beloved.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
zkimom (08-29-2007)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

You just need to find some computer geek to help you out I have Kaspersky anti-virus and firewall and it's great (tfu tfu)! Also, you need to tune Windows a bit and change some original settings to make it work ok. My home computer is running 24/7 with almost no problems (again tfu tfu).
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
You just need to find some computer geek to help you out I have Kaspersky anti-virus and firewall and it's great (tfu tfu)! Also, you need to tune Windows a bit and change some original settings to make it work ok. My home computer is running 24/7 with almost no problems (again tfu tfu).
Thanks for that, Nat. Surprisingly, I'm surrounded by computer geeks. The computers we have get such workouts that most of the time we have computer geeks working full time just to keep them running. I guess that's the problem -- the ones that are left at home are the ones that are too messed up to take out on the job.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by zkimom View Post
(which I also hate because of the pesky touch pad that is always changing pages on me midpost.)
People set it up that way, it's not the nature of the beast. The touchpad sensitivity and controls can be changed.
Quote:
How do you guys do it? Every 5 seconds, something else goes wrong and I have to start up again. If it's not that, it's viruses or all the other stuff that magically ends up in the system.
This is so not true of most PCs. I've had PC's for over 15 yrs and rarely have a problem. My family all have PCs with no problems.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead here. Careful not to turn this into a mac vs pc war.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've had very little problems with the PCs I've used either. When there's a real problem it's because it was an old machine and a part of the hardware was going out.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Yeah I've never had problems with my PCs. Things only go wrong when I know I've done something specifically stupid...and also knew the risk.

I personally don't care for Macs. Part of that is probably because I have to use old Macs with OS 9.1 or earlier at work and they frustrate me to know end. But I've also used newer ones with OSX and it's just not for me. I don't like how Mac doesn't trust their users and makes all the decisions for them. And on older machines you couldn't do any upgrades or changes yourself (though I've heard this is no longer true). I also hate having to actually quit a program instead of just X-ing out of it. Heh, I'm lazy.

Oh yeah, and I hate Mac-compatibility issues with some of the random programs I use.

I dunno...to each their own. Everybody's gonna have a different preference. I've never really understood the fervent Mac-PC war on either end.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Dilly
2nd Sock, I Rock

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was How can someone not like windows? I love looking out windows, or being able to open them and let the breeze in...

I don't have too many problems with my computers (both run on Windows) but I am the only one who uses them, so nobody is ever messing with my settings.

You can turn the touch pad off, and it's not always a big process, so you could do it each time you use your son's computer, and just use a USB mouse instead.

Dilly -- Queen Snow-Geek the Pickle, Defender of Pigs
Originally Posted by AnreeAce
I'm a very busy person. Would I take the time out of my schedule to make your life miserable if I didn't care?
Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Me too, Dilly!

I turn off our touchpad. I hate it.
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
mum2caden
1st Leg of the Journey

I am glad to hear you praise macs so- I am finally getting my first mac for school next week (a macbook so I no longer have to wait for a computer to be free at the school. We have a PC at home, but it is 5 years old and we have already decided to go with a mac when we get a new one for home.

All this said, as someone who does digital scrapbooking and often has the entire photoshop suite open at one time, macs just work better for that, so it will help a LOT.

I have never had any major issues with my PC other than that, but since both my fiance and I keep the PS suite open all the time- that really slows down the PC.
mum2caden is offline   Reply With Quote