Old 08-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
ScandaKnitvian
Ribbing the Cuff

Roaches!!! Help!
A few weeks ago we discovered we had unexpected...ugh...visitors. We've NEVER had roaches but our 21yo ds cleaned out a rental house for us, and for some reason I cannot fathom, brought a few things back that the woman had left...a stack of dishes, a few unopened cans. The house was trashed and badly infested with roaches.

I did some research and read that boric acid will kill them, although it is not highly toxic to humans. I don't have inside pets or crawling babies/toddlers who will get into it, so I sprinkled it around the edges of the walls, under the sink, etc. I also put sticky boards around. Most web sites said you have to be patient and persistent. You won't get rid of them all immediately.

I thought we'd got rid of them all, but then we began noticing tiny baby ones. YUCK!!!!! These things make me shudder. I put out more boric acid and thorougly cleaned out all kitchen cupboards, including under the sink. I don't notice too many bugs, so I think we must've killed a lot of them...only see one once in a while.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET RID OF THESE HORRID THINGS FOR GOOD??? Please tell me yes!
ScandaKnitvian is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
The best thing that I have found to eliminate the little pests is a roach paste. It comes in a syringe and you just inject it along baseboards, around the water pipe openings, and similar places.

Combat sells one that works well.

It does take a while to get them killed off because, as you experienced, the adults can lay a lot of eggs before they die. Getting the young ones before they can reproduce will finally kill them off.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I also have found, for packing boxes (roaches love cardboard and of course warm, wet places) cloves excellent. I always sprinkle cloves around the base of any boxes I have in storage or in wardrobes etc and just leave loose cloves about. I am talking about the cloves you would stick into oranges to make a clove orange.

When I moved into current place I opened dishwasher to find scores of them. Albeit I am very sensitive to chemicals we did let off thee roach 'bombs' in the place before I moved in. That still didn't resolve the dishwasher problem so I had to buy a spray with a long thin nozzle and spray between the cupboard door and the dishwasher door (very slim space but this is where cockroaches were residing). I did this twice and ran a rinse through the washer a day after each spray (I did not put dishes in during this time). Since then I have put cloves about and have only come across one cockroach in more than a month. I've not had to use chemicals at all since that initial period.

Whatever you use you have to do 2/3 rounds to account for the eggs that would have hatched in the interim. I have used borax too before to effect.

I agree with knitting-guy that going around all the baseboards and between stove and walls etc is really important if you have an infestation. Sounds like you are just getting the usual second round post hatching tho so I wouldn't panic. Keep at it and be vigilant and they will slowly go.

I recall one apartment my son moved into (with others in a business) that had swarms of them. It was gross. You could not open a cutlery drawer without them scuttling around. We had to have that place professional pest treated. It was the worst I have ever seen and this was a $600 a week plus place!
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
ScandaKnitvian
Ribbing the Cuff

Mason,

So there is hope??? That is good to know. I did buy some of that Combat gel but my dh said he did not want me squiriting that stuff anywhere. He was afraid it would be toxic for us. I don't remember what the label said about what chemicals it contained.

Someone else told me they once used something that was like "birth control for roaches" which somehow made them so they couldn't reproduce. Don't know what it's called. I'm willing to try different things, but I don't really want toxic sprays. I've read they don't work as well anyway...they don't kill all the roaches or the eggs. Maybe I will use some of that gel...secretively. We're not going to be licking it off the floor, after all.

I just hope I don't start dreaming about the creepy critters.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
ScandaKnitvian
Ribbing the Cuff

Susan,

Thanks for telling me about the cloves! I happen to have a big container of them I got from my mom's house; not sure why she had so many of them but since she doesn't cook anymore I took them, thinking I might do the orange & clove thing.

I did try putting a few moth balls in some kitchen cupboards while we were on vacation last week, but PEE-YOO those things stink, and I read that the fumes really are not good for you. I will try the cloves! Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
misha rf

I was just sent this link; it's got stuff on getting rid of roaches (among other things):

http://www.lowchens australia. com/health/ handyhints. htm
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Seriously, you need to get a handle on those things or they will quickly overtake your house and they are known breeders of disease. I know Ortho makes a good spray that is water based and not harmful to pets or humans or plants called Home Defense. I'm all for the natural way of eliminating things but boric acid is a waste of time and I can't see any other natural product killing them (moth balls do nothing). Roaches are one of the oldest creatures on earth, they didn't get that way by dying off easily. For every roach you do see, there are several more you don't. If you continue to see them and home remedies don't work, call a professional.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Yet one more thing you can do. Mix baking soda with cocoa, and/or flour. Lay it around baseboards, behind applicances, etc. It's totally safe for everyone except the nasty little bugs.

Roaches can't eliminate gas from either end. So the baking soda reacts with their "stomach" acids just like vinegar and backing soda. They don't "blow up" they just kinda split open.

Cream of Wheat works the same way on ants. Sprinkle it around the ant hill or the entrance to the house and within a week, no more ants.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Bay leaves are also great. I lived above a Chinese restaurant for a few years, and put bay leaves with all my books, and packed some in every box (along with spraying the boxes with roach repellant). I didn't move a single one with me. In addition to spraying, you can also eliminate food and water sources, just like you would for mice. Don't leave any food out, vacuum religiously, and take your trash out daily, too.

Think of it as a war.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

We experienced a MAJOR infestation of roaches in a previous house, The only way we got rid of ALL of them was to take all of the base cabinets out to our deck and spray them with Warpath and clean them thoroughly before returning them to the kitchen. We could see the nests/eggs in the corners just under where the counter top would rest. What a royal MESS, but it worked. We also got rid of the dishwasher that was in the house when we moved in.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote