Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

I found some merino!
Hi all,

Thanks for all the various pieces of advice on this board (to me and others) that merino is a good choice.

Today I went to my LYS and unhappily explained that I wanted a soft wool yarn, not one that will scratch the skin off (I didn't really say that but that's what I tried to convey). My Greek is so bad that I usually just browse on my own. The owner dug out some merino she had in the back in navy blue, dark green, gray, and red. The brand is Alize "Cashmira" in a DK weight.

It was a good price, too--one skein was 300 meters and cost 5 Euros (about $7).

One interesting thing about it, though, is that it is multi-plied and knits up like the last picture on this page: knitty.com

Now to frog the two-ton half-finished bulky Besotted scarf, put the yarn away for now, and find another "love" pattern for my mom.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnaT For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-23-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

wow. that IS a good price. i hope you stocked up.
i followed that link, and i think the ply really adds something to the texture, making it more interesting when knitting in a simple stitch pattern. enjoy your new yarn!

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

good for you! i really like how the picture shows a unique texture to the stitches. now we must see what you are working on.

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Lady Violet View Post
wow. that IS a good price. i hope you stocked up.
i followed that link, and i think the ply really adds something to the texture, making it more interesting when knitting in a simple stitch pattern. enjoy your new yarn!

Thanks! It's the only yarn I have ever used that does this.

Originally Posted by dakatzmeow View Post
good for you! i really like how the picture shows a unique texture to the stitches. now we must see what you are working on.

I decided to stick with the Besotted pattern, but added another row of the cables to make it wide enough, and am using 4mm needles. I just think that pattern is so cute and different. I wasn't able to complete but a couple of inches last night. I'll post a picture when it gets long enough to see.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by AnnaT View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for all the various pieces of advice on this board (to me and others) that merino is a good choice.

Today I went to my LYS and unhappily explained that I wanted a soft wool yarn, not one that will scratch the skin off (I didn't really say that but that's what I tried to convey). My Greek is so bad that I usually just browse on my own. The owner dug out some merino she had in the back in navy blue, dark green, gray, and red. The brand is Alize "Cashmira" in a DK weight.

It was a good price, too--one skein was 300 meters and cost 5 Euros (about $7).

One interesting thing about it, though, is that it is multi-plied and knits up like the last picture on this page: knitty.com

Now to frog the two-ton half-finished bulky Besotted scarf, put the yarn away for now, and find another "love" pattern for my mom.
Hi'ya Anna!

I am so happy for you! Glad you finally made that yarn shop lady cough up the good stuff from the back room!

Also, thanks for the knitty link that showed differing plies of yarn and how they knit up and why! That was such an interesting article! I save the whole article to my Knitting Files on my 'puter! Now I know why my single ply yarns knit up kinda "off center" in the st st! Single ply and cable ply yarns are my favorites!

Post us a photo of your completed project in Whatcha Knitting!

PS: you could use the scratchy wool to make a felted Booga Bag! There are tons of felted bag patterns available...so your scratchy wool won't go to waste!

PPS: I sacked a sweater project just recently!
Why you ask? Because the yarn was scratchy and horrid.
It is called Jaeger Luxury Tweed. (a blue and white 2 ply)

Nothin' luxury about it!

It was inexpensive, got it from Elann.com...never knew it would be icky to touch and knit! But, the yarn will become a Booga Bag!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote