Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
cftwo
Working the Gusset

It looks like a good better-than-basic machine to me, at a really good price. I picked up my Brother machine at a garage sale for $15, had it serviced and it works wonderfully. I don't have a warranty with it, but it is a good machine. It's garage sale season around here, so you might want to keep your eyes open for those, too.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cftwo View Post
It looks like a good better-than-basic machine to me, at a really good price. I picked up my Brother machine at a garage sale for $15, had it serviced and it works wonderfully. I don't have a warranty with it, but it is a good machine. It's garage sale season around here, so you might want to keep your eyes open for those, too.

That is a great idea, but we're not garage/rummage sale people. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea as far as buying kids clothes and such, but my mom never went to them so it's not in my mind to go to them either.

Plus I don't have the patience to go house to house looking for deals. I even hate looking at the sales racks at the stores when they are all jammed with clearanced clothes!! My mother, however, is a pro at that, I would rather poke my eyes out!

Basically, it just comes down to this: I'm lazy.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

I have a 40 year old Kenmore which is still going and I spent many years doing a lot of more than just the basics. If you want to do more than just fix seams, tears and hems, then go for the best you can buy. I always wanted a fancy-schmancy machine. And I would have used all the gimcracks and gizmos. But if you don't plan on that, a good basic machine should be sufficient and you can save your money.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #14
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

All 3 of my Singer sewing machines were purchased as refurbished machines. The 2 older ones are still running great. The newest was purchased directly from the Singer website. I think I got a great deal. $80 sounds like a terrific deal with all those features. I wouldn't hesitate at that price.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Another helpful site for comparing sewing machines is www.patternreview.com

They have opinions posted about most brands that are on the market.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #16
zip

Originally Posted by bailsmom View Post
That is a great idea, but we're not garage/rummage sale people. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea as far as buying kids clothes and such, but my mom never went to them so it's not in my mind to go to them either.

Plus I don't have the patience to go house to house looking for deals. I even hate looking at the sales racks at the stores when they are all jammed with clearanced clothes!! My mother, however, is a pro at that, I would rather poke my eyes out!

Basically, it just comes down to this: I'm lazy.

You could try craigslist.org. It's the modern day Alice's Restaurant. you can get anything you want...

I have the local branch keyed up to search all posts for "yarn" as my home page. Two days ago, I found a charitable recipient for some of my old acrylic stash, as well as a local knitting group who I hope to meet with soon.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Thank you all for your wonderful replies. I went to Joann's and bought the Singer model 1120. Brought it home, then looked up the reviews on it and of the 3 I found they all hated it. I'm obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But I didn't know when the sale was over so I bought it just in case.

So I emailed Singer asking them which model they thought would be a good choice for me. It took them 4 days to get back to me - not cool - they suggested model 3116, which Walmart had for $94.00. So we took the 1120 back tonight and got the 3116. It's only a $5.00 difference in price so.....Plus they didn't even acknowledge my remark about the 1120. I even called them twice today and sat on hold the first time for 10 minutes, hung up, called back and sat on hold for over a half hour Soooooo not cool. That made me quite leary of buying anything from them if it takes an act of God to get them to pick up the phone.

So I checked the reviews tonight on the 3116 and most of them were positive, so I think we're sticking with that one! I'm so excited to start.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #18
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Congratulations! Have fun with it!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #19
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

I think you did the right thing. And you got a new machine, rather than a refurbished mode. Good luck with it, and have fun sewing!
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #20
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I have a Janome, and i love it. I do wish I had spent the extra 100 bucks to get the computerized model... It didn't occur to me to get one that can do more than I can Ahh, well.
My first machine was a singer and it was GREAT. The Janome has more functions and is easier (for me) to control the fabric with.